Friday, May 27, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Garfield: The Movie

The Pitch: Wait, Bill Murray said "yes"?!
How I Came Into It: I've always liked the cartoon strip and the animated series. Live action remakes tend to worry me because a lot of things in cartoons look eerie in the real world. It gets into that Uncanny Valley territory.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Bill Murray injects as much life into Garfield as he can. The fact the Murray is too good for this comes across in his voice and works well for the character Garfield. I'm seeing that this was roasted by critics. What's the point? It's not aspiring to be much more than a simple kids movie and it succeeds at that.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Breckin Meyer looked outright trapped at times. He put in a mighty effort, but there's moments when you can see him giving up on scenes when there's nowhere to go with them. I think Jennifer Love Hewitt was underused as well, but that's just because I like Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment