Monday, February 16, 2015

Movie Reaction: Kingsman: The Secret Service

Formula: Any James Bond Movie / Kick-Ass

Why I Saw It: After Stardust, Kick-Ass, and X-Men: First Class, Matthew Vaughn has earned my trust.

Cast: The star of this is Taron Egerton, although the previews would lead you to think otherwise. This is the first thing I've seen him in. It's a role that fits him well. I'll need to see him in something else before I'm decided on him though. Colin Firth gets to unleash the badass we never assumed he had in him. Samuel L. Jackson is having the best time I've see him have since...ok, bad example. He has fun in nearly everything. It's a great career to have. Mark Strong, Jake Davenport, and Michael Caine round out the British acting aristocracy. Sophie Cookson and Sofia Boutella fill the girls who can kick ass quota. Then there's Mark Hamill, as the token "oh hey, it's that guy" role. A strong cast.

Plot: Harry Hart (Firth) works for a secret spy agency called the Kingsman. Eggsy's (Edgerton) father died working for the Kingman. Valentine (Jackson) is a billionaire with a master plan and an army of henchmen led by blade-legged assistant, Gazelle (Boutella). Eggsy gets recruited by Hart to join the Kingsman after a position opens up. Oh, and there's puppies. I need to mention the puppies. It's a straightforward story and tells it in well under 2 hours, which I've learned to appreciate more and more over the years. The story is a great example of effectiveness over inventiveness. Nothing will surprise you but you won't care because you're having too much fun.

Elephant in the Room: So, this isn't a James Bond ripoff? There's a scene in the movie, in which Hart and Valentine have a discussion about who they wanted to grow up to be from the Bond movies. It's purposefully meta in that way. Kingsman is an homage. Let's go with that. It does that thing where it jokes about the thing while still being respectful and reverent to it (we call that "a Mel Brooks"). I'd say that I can't imagine any Bond fan being upset over this movie, but there's always a few humorless purists out there who still complain the Bond can't be blond, so, yeah.

Movie Theater MVP: This has to go to the guy in the theater, who, during a scene at the end when Valentine's master plan goes wrong in spectacular fashion, completely lost his shit. I mean, I was laughing too, completely eating it up, in fact, but this guy couldn't contain himself. There's few things better than being in a theater with someone who is completely loving a movie.

To Sum Things Up:
I liked this movie a lot. So far, it's my favorite 2015 release (it's a small sample size). It's funny. It's shot with a lot of energy. The casting is spot on. I only have a small gripe about the very end (there's a decision to go for one last joke that really doesn't land). And, I should warn that it's cartoonishly violent in that Kick-Ass kind of way. Otherwise, this was a completely agreeable movie that I strongly recommend.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment