Sunday, February 8, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Mirror Has Two Faces

The Pitch: Barbara Streisand and Jeff Bridges try to have a loving relationship that doesn't involve sex.
How I Came Into It: I've always heard the jokes about Barbara Streisand repeatedly playing roles in which she reveals herself to be beautiful. I always assumed it was an exaggeration...

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Jeff Bridges, Lauren Bacall, and even at times Barbara Streisand are positively winning in this. There's more of a focus on discussion than you get in most movies and the hypothesis of the whole movie (Is sex needed for a loving relationship?) is seriously handled and interesting.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: When I realized that this was all setup for a story about Barbara realizing that she's beautiful, it killed my interest in the rest of the movie. In the end, the movie really did feel like a poorly developed idea. I'm not sure if I'm ever convinced that Bridges wouldn't actually want a physical relationship (they hint at some serious mental problems but drop that when they get inconvenient). Streisand isn't all that convincing on her side either. Mostly though, I'm just bothered by watching another feature length wish fulfillment fantasy for Streisand that was otherwise hollow.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment