Monday, February 2, 2015

DVR Purge: 1/26-2/1

Goodbye Parenthood. Hello The Americans.

Past Purges 


Gotham "Welcome Back, Jim Gordon"
One begins to wonder how violent this series would be if it was on premium (or even basic) cable. Every moment with Fish and Penguin (Oooooooh, now I get it) feels like it should end in a gunfight, which in fact, did happen this week.
-I wonder what the significance of this Nygma story is. I'm rooting for him with Ms. Kringle. The short-sighted move would be to have him shunned quickly and stew for 15-20 years with Riddler rage. The long sighted one would be for it to go well, the audience knowing something has to go wrong, but not what or when.
-Poor Bruce, being lied to by Selina Kyle. I could do without that bit of drama, but whatever.
-Gordon is a man on a mission. I feel the show slipping away from him as the de facto lead. He's more like a lead among equals now.

Park & Recreation "Gryzzlebox/Save JJs"
Ron, standing at Leslie and Ben's doorstep, Gryzzl drone in one hand, a shotgun in the other. That is the only image I need for the next week.
The two episodes each week keep pairing together well enough that I nearly don't mind the burn off treatment. These two are balanced all around in the story-telling, ending some plots (getting the Sweetums land for the park, Tom pining over Lucy), continues others (April looking for a new job, Donna's wedding prep), and begins one or two (actually building this national park). I can't wait to see what next Tuesday brings.

Agent Carter "The Blitzkrieg Button"
A lot of Howard Stark this week. Perhaps I'm still too much in an Agent of SHIELD mindset, but I keep waiting for something big to happen.

Cougar Town "Waiting for Tonight"

Who is Bonnie? Did I miss her introduction last week? I assumed the ensemble was large enough to not need to a replacement or filler person, especially in the last run of episodes.

Arrow "Midnight City"

I don't think I'm going keep it together when Quentin finally learns the truth about Sara.

The Americans "EST Men"
This season didn't start with a bang the way last season did, but there's still plenty of good stuff happening. Elizabeth and Phillip are experiencing a rift over what to do with Paige. There's Annalise gettign killed. Their old handler is back. Agent Gaad got a half look at Elizabeth. Martha is getting better with a gun. Stan tries to fake his way through the EST meeting. The only thing this was missing was Nina. I need to see more Nina. Annet Mahendru is too good to go too long without.

The Big Bang Theory "The Anxiety Optimization"
This was a fun little episode. I like when older/established sitcoms decide that it would be fun to do something for an episode. In this case, it's following Sheldon as he moves in and out of everyone's lives looking for a source of inspiration with his mental road block. It's simple and effective.

Parenthood "May God Bless and Keep You Always"
I'm not even going to attempt to cover it all. Any half-observant viewer knew Zeek was going to die, but that didn't mute the effect. It was an hour filled with touching moments and happy endings. I so glad they didn't decide to go dark with anyone's story because it wouldn't've fit the show and, dammit, I like happy endings. It was a very tidy ending and I liked the snapshots into the future at the very end. It reminded me a lot of Six Feet Under but at a much less ambitious level. I can't wait to see what Jason Katims pulls me into next.

Saturday Night Live "JK Simmons/D'Angelo"
I was hoping for more from Simmons as a host. I don't mean he did a bad job. I hoped more sketches would land with me. From the things I've read, I wasn't as big a fan of the Casablanca sketch as others were. Even teacher's snow day wasn't remarkable. Weekend Update did it the most for me with both the return of Jebediah Atkinson assaulting the Grammys and Cecily Strong as the one-note female character from a male-driven comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment