Thursday, March 15, 2018

Top 10 Sports Movies

In honor of March Madness, my favorite sports event of the year, this month, I'm going to focus on my top 10 Sports movies. To begin though, I have a lot of decisions to make about what is and isn't a sports movie. I let IMDB do most of the work on that. Nearly all the movies on my list have 'Sport' listed as one of the genres on IMDB. After that, I made some judgment calls because the line between game and sport isn't well defined.

Perhaps the biggest decision was with Sports documentaries. Thanks to ESPN Films and 30 for 30 and my rule that a movie doesn't have to have a theatrical release to count, that gave me an unreasonable surplus of these Sports documentaries. Ultimately, I didn't include the ESPN Films docs and a couple others that felt too much like TV Specials. I used the same logic as not including Comedy Central Presents performances in a favorite Stand Up specials list: they are too curated to be stand-alone. I did include a few documentaries (none ESPN, I believe) that got a theatrical release in my initial list though. I think that's a fair way to draw that line.

In the end, I had a raw list of 128 movies: more than enough for the 100 minimum I require to make a top 10 list. It's a surprisingly balanced list. It had 18 football, boxing and, baseball movies and 17 basketball. It takes a big dip to 7 for hockey and no more than a handful of any other sport.

In the spirit of it being a sports list, I'm going to hand out spots in the to 10 FIFA or FIBA style: One spot for each of the major sports represented (Football, Baseball, Boxing, Basketball), 2 for the remaining mix of sports, and 4 wildcards. This is going to be needlessly complicated and I can't wait.

Football
Johnny Be Good
Necessary Roughness
Rudy
Little Giants
The Waterboy
Any Given Sunday
Varsity Blues
Remember the Titans
The Replacements
Radio
Friday Night Lights
The Longest Yard (2005)
We Are Marshall
The Express
The Blind Side
Concussion (2015)

I must say, I was surprised to see Football so well represented. I don't think I need to explain why most of these movie don't need to be considered. Several of the movies are perfectly likable (The Longest Yard, The Waterboy, Varsity Blues). I can pretty quickly narrow it down by thinking about which one's I'll ever see again.

Definitely In: Rudy
Wildcard Consideration: Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights

Boxing
Ali
Undefeated
Million Dollar Baby
Against the Ropes
Cinderella Man
Rocky Balboa
Annapolis
The Fighter

Boxing has a disproportionate number of classics and award winners. It probably has something to do with the intimacy of the matches. It's very easy to set the stakes and keep up with the protagonist in a boxing match. There's a big discrepancy between the best and the worst of the genre though. Most of the Rocky sequels, Million Dollar Baby, Against the Ropes, and Grudge Match are all easy cuts. Film like Ali, The Fighter, and Cinderella Man are quite good. In the end though, the top movies were easy to pick out.

Definitely In: Creed
Wildcard Consideration: Rocky, Raging Bull

Baseball
Bull Durham
Field of Dreams
A League of Their Own
Rookie of the Year
The Sandlot
Angels in the Outfield (1994)
The Scout
For Love of the Game
Hardball
Summer Catch
The Rookie
Fever Pitch
Bad News Bears
The Benchwarmers

Baseball certainly has the most sentimental entries in the Sports movie genre. I'll admit that I don't have the same affection for the movies that a lot of people have. The 90's kid classics like The Sandlot, Angels in the Outfield, and Rookie of the Year didn't take hold of me enough at the right age to stick with me. 80's adult comedies like Bull Durham and Major League I caught a little too late as well. Frankly, the amount that I considered Hardball and the Billy Bob Thornton Bad News Bears should discredit my list altogether.

Definitely In: A League of Their Own
Wildcard Consideration: Field of Dreams, Moneyball

Basketball
Hoosiers
White Men Can't Jump
Hoop Dreams
Space Jam
The Luck of the Irish
Juwanna Mann
Double Teamed
Air Bud
Like Mike
Coach Carter
Rebound
Glory Road
Semi-Pro
More Than a Game
The Other Dream Team
The Sixth Man
The Winning Season

Basketball has far fewer classics than other major sports. The only reason I have seen so many is simply because I like basketball more. You may also notice more documentaries than in other parts of my list. I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or if there's something about basketball that lends itself more to true stories. This one is easy to whittle down. The Winning Season is an under-seen Sam Rockwell treat, but it's pretty slight. The Sixth Man isn't great. I can easily cross off those Disney Channel original movies I snuck in. I'm sorry to say that Space Jam is easy to eliminate as well. I loved that movie as a kid, but I'm weirdly not sentimental about it. One of these days I need to figure out what I actually do hold dear from my childhood.

Definitely In: Hoop Dreams
Wildcard Consideration: Hoosiers, He Got Game

Other
Slap Shot (Hockey)
The Mighty Ducks (Hockey)
D2: The Mighty Ducks (Hockey)
D3: The Mighty Ducks (Hockey)
H-E Double Hockey Sticks (Hockey)
Miracle (Hockey)
Goon (Hockey)
The Karate Kid (Karate)
The Next Karate Kid (Karate)
The Karate Kid (2010) (Karate)
Days of Thunder (Racing)
Driven (Racing)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Racing)
Right on Track (Racing)
Caddyshack (Golf)
Tin Cup (Golf)
Happy Gilmore (Golf)
Kingpin (Bowling)
The Big Lebowski (Bowling)
Alley Cats Strike (Bowling)
Ladybugs (Soccer)
Bend It Like Beckham (Soccer)
Kicking and Screaming (Soccer)
The Cutting Edge (Ice Skating)
Blades of Glory (Ice Skating)
I, Tonya (Ice Skating)
Ready to Rumble (Wrestling)
Nacho Libre (Wrestling)
Foxcatcher (Wrestling)
Cool Runnings (Bobsled)
The Ringer (Olympics)
Race (2016) (Olympics)
Brink! (Skating)
Grind (Skating)
Lords of Dogtown (Skating)
Johnny Tsunami (Surfing)
Blue Crush (Surfing)
Bring It On (Cheerleading)
Fired Up (Cheerleading)
Warrior (MMA)
Here Comes the Boom (MMA)
Seabiscuit (Horseracing)
Secretariat (Horceracing)
The Hustler (Pool)
Breaking Away (Cycling)
Icarus (Cycling)
Pumping Iron (Body-Building)
Motocrossed (Motorcross)
DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story (Dodgeball)
Run Fat Boy Run (Running)
BASEketball (?)
Rollerball (?)

Alright. Machete time. From the remaining list of movies, there's two types of immediate disqualifiers: 1) Bad movies. 2) Movies I have a hard time calling "sports movies" even despite being called that elsewhere.

Not Sports
You can make very compelling arguments for Auto-Racing, Bowling, Cheerleading, Horseracing, and Pool  being sports. To make things easier, I'm knocking them out. I take no pleasure in cutting The Big Lebowski, Seabiscuit, or Bring It On. Besides, a lot of the movies I'm cutting because of that only have the sport as a flavor, not the focus.

Not Good
As much as I do love Motocrossed and Brink!, the Disney Channel Original Movies are all right out. The Karate Kid sequels are god-awful (I'm throwing the 2010 Karate Kid in too, even though it wasn't nearly as bad as, say, Part III). BASEketball and Rollerball probably shouldn't even count as sports. They're bad movies as well, so either way, they are no more. I'm afraid that the Will Ferrell sports comedies have to go (Kicking and Screaming, Blades of Glory). D3, Ladybugs, Ready to Rumble, Nacho Libre, Grind, Lords of Dogtown, Blue Crush, Here Comes the Boom, and Run Fat Boy Run can all go. The Ringer and Goon are much better than you'd think, but rising above expectations isn't quite the same as good.

At this point, it's tough to come up with a reason to narrow the remaining list down other than "I just don't like it as much". So, that's how I end up with veritable classics like Slap Shot, Caddyshack, and Breaking Away not even in the wildcard consideration.

Definitely In: Warrior, The Karate Kid
Wildcard Consideration: The Mighty Ducks, Happy Gilmore, I, Tonya, Cool Runnings, The Cutting Edge, Foxcatcher

Honorable Mention
Cool Runnings - I have the kind of unearned affection for this movie that can only be the result of childhood nostalgia. It is a silly and fun movie though.
The Cutting Edge - One of the things I love about my Club 50 project is that I stumble across movies like this that I never would've assumed I'd like. Moira Kelly and D.B. Sweeney's chemistry is superb.
Field of Dreams - I'll be saying or implying this about a lot of these movies. It's an obvious pick for a reason.
Foxcatcher - You don't always get movies about the dark side of sports. This one is packed with great performances.
Friday Night Lights - It's a fine football movie that only suffers by comparison to the all-time great TV show.
He Got Game - Denzel puts up a great performance. Ray Allen can act. And, it's fun to see a bunch of college coaches from 1997.
The Mighty Ducks - Who isn't a fan of a movie about a gang of misfits who come together for a common purpose? Half of all cinema is about that.
Moneyball - Any movie that's worked its way into common vernacular like this deserves some praise. It's a great screenplay too.
Remember the Titans - It's fun how you can tell my age simply by what movies I pick for these lists. For better or worse, when I think about a Denzel movie, this is what I go to.
Rocky - Sometimes, I think the fact that Rocky won Best Picture over the likes of Network, All the President's Men, and Taxi Driver, not to mention all the sequels of diminishing quality, obscures the fact that Rocky is a damn good movie.

Top 10
10. Hoosiers - Most of my list could be described as underdog stories, but Hoosiers is perhaps the definitive example of that. This is among Gene Hackman's finest performances, and that's saying something.
9. Rudy - Look, a lot of these movies have reached the point of cliche. It's real easy to pick Rudy apart. However, it's even easier to fall for it completely. I hope I never become too cynical to appreciate someone having a dream and busting their ass to accomplish it, no matter how silly it may be. I know most of my proudest accomplishments sound silly to other people.
8. The Karate Kid - I never expected to like this movie so much. I thought it was too well known to surprise me. That's the thing about earnestness though: It can't be denied.
7. I, Tonya - This movie is still so fresh in my mind that I don't know where to put it. Terrific editing and performances. Darkly comedic edge. One of the rare non-inspirational sports movies (to some extent).
6. Hoop Dreams - One of the all-time great documentaries. Period. The time invested. The amount of footage gathered. The quality of the subjects followed. Had I seen this more than the one time, it would probably be higher on this list.
5. A League of Their Own - This movie is like comfort food. There's never a bad time to watch parts of it or the whole thing. The cast is just delightful and pretty impeccably chosen. It has a great sense of humor and has just the right amount of emotional heft.
4. Happy Gilmore - I told you that my picks give away my age. What 9 year old didn't fall completely for this movie? It doesn't really deserve to be this high on the list other than the fact that I've almost never laughed harder the first time I saw this movie.
3. Raging Bull - It may not be my favorite Scorsese movie, but it's hard to argue against this as his best movie. This solidified Robert de Niro as one of the greats (as if The Godfather: Part II, Taxi Driver, and The Deer Hunter weren't enough).
2. Creed - This gets some bonus points for defying my expectations so thoroughly. Rocky Balboa began to salvage the Rocky franchise, but Creed brought it back with a vengeance. What seventh installment in a movie franchise has ever received a major Oscar nomination and been considered a legitimate snub for Best Picture. That doesn't happen. Michael B. Jordan is an absolute star in this and Stallone gives the greatest performance of his admittedly inconsistent career.
1. Warrior - One down side to these top 10 lists is that there will be some familiar movies at the top. This won last month as well and I apologize for nothing. I adore this movie in part because it pulls off the magic trick of making me care about the winner of an MMA fight (Note: I've never watched an MMA fight and I have no interest in changing that). Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, and Nick Nolte are tremendous throughout and Gavin O'Connor shows directing chops that haven't resurfaced since.

And, since I brought them up, I thought I'd include the best of the ESPN Films/30 for 30 docs I've seen.

In No Order...
30 for 30: The Two Escobars - A fascinating new angle to come at the Pablo Escobar story.
30 for 30: June 17th, 1994 - Editing all the day's many sports events into a narration-free documentary. Certainly the most inventive 30 for 30 doc.
30 for 30: Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks - I tried to limit how much basketball I used in this list. This one is super specific and a lot of fun.
30 for 30: Survive and Advance - Jim Valvano has been deified by the collective sports media and this doc about his 1983 NCAA championship run does a lot to explain why.
30 for 30: Four Falls of Buffalo - This adds a great perspective of a Super Bowl run that is known more as an historical punchline.

Others I've Seen
30 for 30: The Band That Wouldn't Die
30 for 30: Once Brothers
30 for 30: Bad Boys
The Fab Five
30 for 30: Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?
30 for 30: No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson
30 for 30: Broke
30 for 30: Benji
30 for 30: There's No Place Like Home
30 for 30: Run Ricky Run
30 for 30: Roll Tide / War Eagle
30 for 30: The Real Rocky
30 for 30: Kings Ransom
30 for 30: Silly Little Game
30 for 30: The Birth of Big Air
30 for 30: Catching Hell
30 for 30: The U
30 for 30: The House of Steinbrenner
30 for 30: Guru of Go
30 for 30: Jordan Rides the Bus
30 for 30: The Best That Never Was
30 for 30: The Dotted Line
30 for 30: Without Bias
30 for 30: Unguarded
30 for 30: This Magic Moment
30 for 30: Fantastic Lies
30 for 30: The '85 Bears
30 for 30: Angry Sky
30 for 30: Four Days in October
30 for 30: Sole Man
30 for 30: Trojan War
30 for 30: The U Part 2
30 for 30: Rand University
30 for 30: I Hate Christian Laettner
30 for 30: Of Miracles and Men
30 for 30: Soccer Stories: Hillsborough
30 for 30: Brian and the Boz
30 for 30: When the Garden Was Eden
30 for 30: Youngstown Boys 
30 for 30: Playing for the Mob
30 for 30: Elway to Marino
30 for 30: Free Spirits
30 for 30: Requiem for the Big East
30 for 30: Ghosts of Ole Miss
30 for 30: Pony Excess
30 for 30: The Price of Gold
The Street Stops Here
SEC Storied: Going Big
40 Minutes of Hell
The Announcement
The Marinovich Project
Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows
WWE: The Rise & Fall of WCW
The Prince of Pennsylvania
Chasing Tyson

No comments:

Post a Comment