Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Movie Reaction: Red Sparrow

Formula: (Femme Fatale / 3) + (2 * Bridge of Spies / 3)

Look, there's no way for me to talk about this movie and my issues with it without sounding a little crass. That's because, put bluntly, my issues tie into the fact that there  wasn't enough boobs and sex in Red Sparrow. Plain and simple. And I should be clear. I say this because it's what the movie positioned itself to be about. I would've been happy to see any kind of spy movie starring movie star Jennifer Lawrence, but Red Sparrow positions itself as a sex spy movie.

Red Sparrow is based on a book series, although I don't know how true to those books the film is. It's about Dominika (Lawrence), a famous Russian ballerina whose career is ruined after a gruesome injury. Through desperation and the meddling of her uncle (Matthias Schoenaerts), a high ranking Russian intelligence officer, she is a recruited as a Sparrow: an elite squad of Russian spies who are trained to use sex as a weapon or a tactic. The movie follows her recruitment, training, and eventually, first mission. That first mission is to target a CIA officer (Joel Edgerton) who has information about a mole in the Russian government. From there, the movie goes on spy movie auto-pilot.

By far, the most intriguing thing about Red Sparrow is the idea of having these sex spies. Sex in the spy genre has always been incidental. James Bond sleeping with a crime lord's wife, or whatever. I can't think of a Hollywood movie that's actually looked at it unpologetically as part of a mission. That's what makes a show like The Americans so interesting. Sex is just part of the job. It's not a big deal. Red Sparrow talks a big talk. The scenes at the facility where Dominika is trained to be a Sparrow act like they are shocking. Charlotte Rampling (the matron of the establishment) says a couple explicit things. The scenes themselves are pretty tame though. What really bothered me is that Jennifer Lawrences comes out of the movie without getting her hands dirty. Despite the pitch of the movie, she doesn't really become a Sparrow. The movie is actually about how she rebels against being a Sparrow and sidesteps everything in the training. Even the way the camera blocking works for several scenes is conservative ("We can show this but we can't show that"). It all feels like a half-measure.

So let's say I can ignore the fact that Red Sparrow moves away from the Sparrow angle as quickly as possible and instead I look at it as the traditional spy movie that it really is. I can't say I'm very impressed with that either. I think of it as the difference between distance and displacement. Distance is the length of the journey. Displacement is how far you've gone from where you started. Red Sparrow covers a lot of distance for very little displacement. I didn't care for the twists and turns of the story because they didn't change my understanding of the characters at all. Whenever it looked like things were taking a big left turn, only a few moments later, it would correct itself with a big right turn. Fundamentally, the characters are the same at the beginning as they are at the end. I suppose the big surprise of the movie is finding out who the mole really is. Once that's revealed in the movie, I realized that I didn't actually care. He was part of a story in a much different movie.

Jennifer Lawrence is fine in the movie. She's about at that movie star level where she doesn't really disappear into roles. She just plays herself as a different character. That isn't even a bad thing. It's more of an undeniable consequence of fame. She's stuck playing a character who is more of a collection of ideas than a person. For instance, the fact that she's a famous ballerina doesn't mean much to the story. How does someone that recognizable even get recruited as a secret agent? Even her moderate fame makes the idea of her taking on an alias ridiculous. And what about her character in the movie really makes you think she could've been a successful dancer? She has almost no discipline and constantly ignores instruction. She's only a dancer because "Russian ballerina sex spy" sounds better than "Russian sex spy". I do believe Lawrence in the moment though. She sells individual scenes. I just don't buy the whole character. The rest of the cast I like but are pretty anonymous. I could come up with a list of a dozen actors who could play Joel Edgerton's role the same way. I feel like Matthias Schoenaerts is only in the movie because Mads Mikkelsen was busy. Charlotte Rampling adds a legitimacy to the Sparrow training portion of the film that nearly tricks you into thinking those parts add anything to the film. Mary Louise-Parker shows up briefly, and I don't think anyone told her what kind of movie this was before she broke out her best Nancy Botwin.

I'll admit, I'm being harsher on this movie than it deserves. It's a perfectly harmless spy movie. It has all the beats it needs for that kind of movie. It casts good actors who play the traditional roles as well as they need to. I'm irritated because it pulled back from all the things that were supposed to make it stand out. It's weird to have a movie about a spy trained to use sex as a weapon but not have that spy use sex as a weapon all that much. That would be like having a movie about an elite bike cop who spends the whole movie on foot. Red Sparrow doesn't play to any of its strengths.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment