Friday, March 16, 2018

Movie Reaction: Thoroughbreds

Formula: (Heathers + Heavenly Creatures) / 2

I've been in a funk lately and it's been a real bummer. Two of my bigger fears with all the movies I see is that I'm becoming a snob and/or that I'm reaching a point where I'm only seeing movies out of responsibility. I never want to get to the point where I can't appreciate a dumb action movie or comedy for what it is. I don't want my Reactions to be a weekly recap of all the things that bothered me. It's felt like that for a while though. I wasn't able to buy a ticket for the Black Panther bandwagon, although I wished it well. I couldn't appreciate what Game Night did right. A Wrinkle in Time I thought was pretty sloppy, despite the best of intentions. It's my goal to love every movie I see. However, that just doesn't happen and I don't like to fake enthusiasm. A lot of it comes down to personal taste and I don't pretend otherwise. The point of my Reactions is to explain my own opinion of a movie, not to have a final say. In my life, I've found that more people tell me I'm thinking about something too much than tell me that I'm right. I'm OK with that.

Thoroughbreds is my kind of movie and I'm not sure that says anything good about me. It's the prototypical Sundance movie that I'm always in search of. It a comedy with a dark dramatic heart, anchored by a pair of great performances by up-and-coming actresses who have both already been in Sundance movies that I adore.

Amanda (Olivia Cooke) and Lily (Anya Taylor-Joy) are affluent teens with some issues. Amanda is a sociopath. She's not evil, she just doesn't feel things. After this manifests itself in a particularly gruesome incident, she becomes an outcast in her community. Lily is all about burying her feelings and putting on a facade as though everything is fine. The two are childhood friends who have become distant since high school. After Amanda's mother bribes Lily to tutor Amanda as a way to get Amanada some human interaction, the two rekindle their friendship by coming up with a plan to kill Lily's asshole stepdad. They employ a local drugdealer (Anton Yelchin) with aspirations of greatness to help them with this. As you can imagine, things don't go according to plan.

As I said, it's a pretty dark movie. Cooke and Taylor-Joy are excellent for the roles though. Cooke brings a frankness to Amanda that is a lot like her character from Me & Earl & the Dying girl. She's not like any sociopath I can think of in a movie. The film doesn't treat it like it's an act or that's she's a bad person. She just doesn't feel emotions and the film doesn't try to apologize for that. She may not be repeatable, but she is understandable. Taylor-Joy is most famous for The Witch and has many of the same strengths in this. She layers her emotions. Even when she's playing things big, you can tell she's holding something back. You never know exactly what she's thinking. They both have great, expressive eyes that do a lot of the work for the. I love how well these two play off each other. They can turn on rapid fire banter without it sounding like they are trying to be clever. It's like great improv. They don't need to know where the other is going with something. They just need to be willing and ready to go along with whatever. Yelchin threw me off a little bit. I kept waiting for him to lean into something more broad or slapstick. Mostly, he's just pathetic though. And, Paul Sparks, as Lily's stepfather walks the line between being unlikable and without being evil quite well, although he's not my favorite part of the cast.

This is one of those movies I'd love to listen to the commentary for. I suspect there's a lot more to a lot of decisions than I realized at the time. Like, at one point, Cooke's character is playing a lawn chess game. I think those moves she makes have meaning. Or maybe they don't. Either way, I want to know.

The climax of the movie will probably turn a lot of people off. It confirms that the movie is more drama than comedy. It sets up an ending that has been rattling around in my head for a while. It has one of those Inception-like final questions to which your answer says more about your own personal philosophy than anything else. I loved it! If this movie it still in my top ten by the end, it will be because of the ending.

Thororoughbreds isn't going to be for everyone. I know a lot of people who want nothing less than to see another movie about bored rich white people, and I won't pretend that this movie transcends that description. It's somewhere between the irreverent comedy of Heathers and the disturbing drama of Beautiful Creatures. I got a real kick out of it though. It was just what I needed to recharge my enthusiasm .

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend*

*...you know, unless you're well-adjusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment