Friday, February 24, 2017

Oscar Predictions: Best Makeup and Hairstyling

The Oscars are coming up yet again. The guilds, Globes, BAFTAs, and critics have all made their picks. Now it's my turn to figure out what it all means with my multi-part Oscar predictions.
I'm going to go through each of the Oscar categories, tell you what has been nominated and won elsewhere, and order the nominee from who I think is most to least likely to win on Oscar night. That doesn't mean I'll be right, but it does mean I'll be informed. Wish me luck.

Previously:
Oscar Nomination Thoughts
Introduction & Documentary Feature
Foreign Film
Visual Effects
Production Design
Supporting Actor
Supporting Actress
Cinematography
Editing
Live-Action, Animated, and Documentary Short
Song & Score
Animated Feature
Lead Actor
Lead Actress
Original and Adapted Screenplay
Sound Mixing & Editing
Director
Best Picture

Glossary:
BAFTA - British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards
M&HG - Hollywood Makeup and Hair Stylist Guild Award

No one seems to put much effort into the Makeup & Hair-Styling Oscar. It's the last nominee to still regularly get only three nominations and it's normally the easiest to predict. The guild has only been giving out awards for three years. There isn't a lot of overlap between their nominees and the Oscar nominees. The few that are recognized by both end up being the Oscar winners. The BAFTA is quite reliable until it isn't. It's called 14 of the last 20 Oscar winners. Several years, including this year, the BAFTA award doesn't share any nominees with the Oscar. So, it is functionally useless.

Star Trek Beyond
Perhaps the fact that it's Idris Elba under all that makeup will be enough to sway voters. And Sofia Boutella. The makeup is this is no joke.

Suicide Squad
M&HG Award - Period/Character Makeup - Winner
The only nominee with any kind of precursor love [that I counted]*. I've been switching Suicide Squad and Star Trek daily leading up to posting this. Why couldn't they just nominate La La Land and let me be done with it?

*If Star Trek does win this year, I'm going to have to start adding the M&HG Award for Best Special Make-Up Effects to my consideration.

A Man Called Ove
Kind of like that 100 Year Old Man movie last year, no one will pay it any attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment