Friday, February 10, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The Final

The Pitch: High school rejects get deadly revenge on their classmates.

I honestly don't remember putting this in my Netflix queue or how it got to the top of my 400-movie list. I assume I knew at one point. It probably came from one of my Google searches of "good horror movies" or "most disturbing films". Whatever the case may be, Netflix delivered it, so I watched.
Based on the description, I assumed this would be much gorier than it was. As someone who avoided direct eye-contact with most of the Saw movies, I'm thankful that it's somewhat restrained in the visuals. Don't get me wrong, the people that made this like to see people in pain, but it's a little more psychological than "how can we hurt this person in a new way?".

What I found most entertaining was the cast. The reject kids are kind of perfect. Marc Donato some may remember as the nerdy Derek Haig from Degrassi: The Next Generation. Before you ask, yes, that is Orin from Parks and Rec (Eric Isenhower) as another reject. I even find it fitting that the reject girl (Lindsay Seidel) is mainly known for American dubs of anime.

I couldn't ever get into the movie. The overacting by the "cool kids" at the beginning was too much for me. I understand that they need to set up that these people are sufficiently awful to deserve the torture they get later, but this is like taking a mallet to a pinata: too much. I have to care about them a little bit or at least think of them as people rather than "types". I did not. I was very “pro-murder” throughout.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment