Sunday, February 12, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Goodnight Mommy

The Pitch: Two brothers think their mother has been replaced by an alien.

I feel like I say this a lot, but I have no memory of putting this in my Netflix queue or moving it up the list. I vaguely remember seeing a trailer for it, but that's about it. Well, way to go Germany, you scared me away from having kids.

This is a messed up little movie. I loved the twist at the end about Lukas. That didn't even occur to me and it really should've. Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala fill this this with frightening imagery and they like to sit with uncomfortable moments for a while. There's a few times that the violence is a little too real and intimate for me, like when Elias cuts their mother's mouth open. I certainly won't be trusting kids around me with any sharp instruments for a while, or falling asleep around them, or even giving them any reason to suspect something ill of me.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment