Sunday, December 28, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Happy Christmas

The Pitch: It's a mumblecore Christmas.
How I Came Into It: I liked Drinking Buddies last year and heard that the same guy made this, gave Anna Kendrick a bigger role, and added Lena Dunham.

Why I Saw It: This is a small movie and doesn't force any unneeded drama. Kendrick's character is a screw up, but she's not torpedoing anyone's life completely. Joe Swanberg and Melanie Lynskey's characters argue some, but actually have a functional and happy marriage. This all feels very authentic. If I'm going to mention Lynskey, yay for being able to keep her real accent. What sealed it for me was the post credits scene with Lynskey, Kendrick, and Dunham that can only be described as 'fun'.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm always reminded by movies like this of my cousin's description of indie movies*, that it's like watching a short story, not a novel. You end up having to make a lot more out of a lot less in terms of the plotting. As short as the movie is, it could've been even shorter. At some point, if there's that much fat to be trimmed, is there still enough for a meal? Don't get me wrong. I quite enjoyed this, the performances, the improvising of the dialogue. It's all worth seeing.

*Oddly enough, this came about when discussing Joe Swanberg's last movie, Drinking Buddies.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment