Saturday, December 20, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

The Pitch: Kids needs a Liz Lemon. Let's make a movie about this sad-sack kid in the book series.
How I Came Into It: I'm only familiar with the books by name. I was kind of soured on the movie thanks to a preview for it on loop when I worked at Target that prominently featured the "It's got a hair on it" line.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's nice to watch a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's obvious that the movie tries to stay as true to the book as it can. It does a good job segmenting each [I'm assuming] chapter in the movie to stand by itself while still being of one piece. Then there's Chloe Grace Moretz. She couldn't be that much older than the other kids in the cast, but she towers over them with her presence. She really is one of the great child actors.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Greg is a dick. I don't know how the book portrays him, but the movie really doubles down on how awful he is. By the time he redeems himself at the end, it's already too late. I don't like him.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment