Thursday, December 11, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Despicable Me 2

The Pitch: People love the minions. Make whatever movie you must as long as it has minions.

What Took Me So Long: There was no way I was seeing this in theaters. One of the biggest hits of that summer, aimed at children, a matinee showing. No. Not happening.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) As a side-quest, it was the last movie that made $200 million that I hadn't seen, so that helps. Despicable Me has somehow become one of the animation tent pole movies these days, thanks almost entirely to the minions and their antics. The animation looks fine if not great, so money clearly went into that. The Steve Carell/Kristen Wiig pairing proves to be a fun one in live action (Anchorman 2) and animation. Anytime the rest of the voice cast has names like Benjamin Bratt, Russell Brand, Ken Jeong, and Steve Coogan, the movie is probably doing something right.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I don't like the minions. I really don't. I find them annoying. This is then compounded by the fact they everyone else loves them and they are all over the marketing for this. The story is fine. The jokes are ok. The cast is capable. If not for the minions mostly irritating me, I'd regard this as a good, if not strong, movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment