Sunday, December 28, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Dead Man Walking

The Pitch: Susan wants an Oscar! How about this? Death row. She's a nunn. She's counseling a guy who is about to be killed. That's gotta be a lock.

What Took Me So Long: Sean Penn is a great actor, but I'm happy avoiding his movies if I can.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'm always curious to see the Oscar winning performances of non-Oscar winning movies, especially in the invisible purple unicorn that is this Dead Man Walking, with lead actor, lead actress, and director nominations, without a best picture nomination. That's weird, but it tells exactly what you are getting: two great performances and direction that allows them the freedom needed. The story is simple and it works. It focuses on a very specific part of the execution process that isn't normally covered and doesn't try to expand the story beyond that. You're never meant to think that Penn's character is going to get that appeal and it's not surprising that he is more guilty than he initially claims.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This was such a surprise that I'm having trouble picking qualms with it. Having Penn's character be an Aryan is a little easy. I've seen that shade enough times. Maybe it was a bit long. I'm just glad that Saradon really earned that Oscar win.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment