Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Mississippi Burning

The Pitch: In case anyone forgot, racism is bad. Let's remind the south of that again.
 

What Took Me So Long: I've been wanting to see it for a while but had a hard time finding it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe give strong lead performances. They make such good villains, that it's almost surprising to see both of them in a movie and be the heroes all the way through. I honestly never considered how long Frances McDormand has been around. The0 first thing I remembered her in was Fargo, eight years later, so seeing her was a nice surprise. Good racist turns from character actors like Stephen Tobolowsky and Michael Rooker, reminding me how long they've been around (and look basically the same).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: At some point, you have to feel bad for the South. They aren't ever going to be able to escape this whole racism, black mark on our nation's history thing. To some extent, maybe they should stew in that a little longer, like a cultural time-out. But really, when was the last time you came across a movie about Mississippi that wasn't about racism? It's an effective enough movie and all, but even by 1988, wasn't this rote?

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment