Monday, December 29, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Pitch: Wes Anderson makes a comedy about a man framed for murder in a fake European country.
How I Came Into It: People lose their shit over Wes Anderson and this is his next "best thing he's ever made".

Why I Saw It: No working director is more visually distinctive than Wes anderson. He's inarguably a director who is great at what he's doing. This is a great cast too. Ralph Fiennes is stupendous. Tony Revolori is as good a newcomer as I've seen in a while (granted, he's been working for a decade). The writing is solid too. When watching this movie, I struggled to find a single thing wrong with it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: But I didn't really like it. The Wes Anderson aesthetic turns me off entirely. The balance of the shots. The specific use of uncommon words. The delivery of the humor. It's all lost on me. One day, I may need to watch some of his movies with someone who is a fan to get what I'm missing. Until then, I simply can't root for a movie that I don't get.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment