Monday, December 29, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Snowpiercer

The Pitch: Ok, imagine society as a train where each car is another economic level...
How I Came Into It: It has a very distinctive look and for months it's been one of the movies that keeps getting referenced by critics without ever getting an actual assessment.

Why I Saw It: If this is what Captain America wants to do with his free time, that's cool with me. This is a fresh bit of Sci Fi and a different twist on the increasingly rote dystopia formula. I love that it's littered with Oscar winners (Octavia Spencer, Tilda Swinton) and nominees (John Hurt, Ed Harris) and it looks pretty good for what I have to assume wasn't a huge budget.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It has no room for subtlety, that's for sure. If I wasn't already really tired of stories about the rich holding down the poor, I'd be able to focus on more than that aspect of it. I think the whole third act (pardon the pun) went off the rails too. I think back to something like The Matix Reloaded and realize that you know what, maybe these movies work better if there isn't some big soliloquy trying to explain everything. Perhaps keeping us in the dark a bit is more interesting.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment