Tuesday, December 16, 2014

DVR Purge: 12/9-12/15

Once last big week before a shirt Christmas hibernation.


Past Purges 

New Girl "LAXmas"
I'm not really sure why, but whenever they double down on the "friends as family" stuff on New Girl, it rubs me the wrong way. It's fun to have them all at the airport though. This episode's a bit of a haze for me. I was still coming off a cold at the time.

Agents of SHIELD "What They Become"
There was a lot of craziness happening and I'm not sure I caught it all. I know Trip is dead, well, probably, and that's a bummer. It is nice the thin out the cast a little. Skye had some great scenes with her father and I'm starting to have fun with Ward seemingly changing sides whenever he feels like it. I could invite him back as a Spike character on the show now that they've kept up with him as a heel for long enough.

The Mindy Project "Christmas"
Oh, Danny at the all female nativity scene ("I have to get out of here. It is basically witchcraft.").
Given the mission statement in the pilot of the series, I really can't be irritated by all the romance drama in the show right now, with Danny and Mindy dancing around and engagement, Peter and Jeremy's love triangle, Morgan dating Julia Stiles (even though it was just last week that Tamara was still an issue). In the end, it makes me laugh. All is forgiven.

Arrow "The Climb"If there was any part of me that thought Oliver could be dead, then I would be much more intrigued by his "death". As is, I'm more worried about how sturdy the explanation will be to bring him back. I'm also still not convinced that Ray Palmer won't become a bad guy.

The Middle "The Christmas Wall"
I love this show! It manages to make things being shitty it being sweet. I mean, all the crap Mike goes through for the tree, getting stuck with a green and pink one and Sue loves it. Frankie tries to not do Christmas and then a shockingly efficient conversation with Mike gets her to change her mind. The Bossco fight ending in snow angels. I'm sorry, if you don't like this show, there's something wrong with you.

Modern Family "Hayley's 21st Birthday"
I'm almost scared to rewind Lily's story about where babies come from. I thought I heard something about tadpoles. I'm not sure where else it went.
I was impressed by the handling of the Jay/Phil story. When Phil finds out that Jay covered the difference to get a "better deal", his reaction isn't anger that Jay won't admit to being wrong. No, he's excited that Jay cares enough to do that. That Phil's opinion means something. I think all the Christmas around me is turning me into a softy.

Blackish "Black Santa/White Christmas"
It's nice having Blackish around. It does such a great job with going at race humor without leaving someone feeling left out, which is way harder than it looks. I was dying when Dre and his mom with talking about Latinos "jumping ahead" and defending it with "black people can't be racist". I worried about what losing Larry Whilmore as showrunner/writer (whatever he was doing) would mean, but so far, it's managed just fine without him.

The Big Bang Theory "The Clean Room Infiltration"
Sheldon and Amy's give exchange was just about the sweetest thing the show has ever done.
It was oddly nice to see people picking on Howard as being the stupid one in the group without Sheldon being around. It somehow makes Sheldon doing it less mean.

A to Z "I is for Ill Communication"
Nice try, A to Z. You used Christmas to tug at my heart. You're still a dead show walking. I can either be pleased by them dropping the farce of neither Adam or Zelda wanting to do Christmas together so quickly or complain about forcing a fight about it. Whatever.

Saturday Night Live "Martin Freeman/Charli XCX"
Martin Freeman is sort of the perfect host. He is completely professional and prepared for anything. He is willing to play the straight man and let the regulars do what they do best. I almost lost track of him in numerous sketches and that was by design.
Oh, then there's The Office: Middle Earth sketch. Brilliant!

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Stakeout"
Was I the only one hoping that this would be a two-parter and the other episode would be called "Another Stakeout"? Oh, I was the only one? I still think it would've been a great idea. I could watch an entire episode of Holt and Diaz out stoic-ing each other or Holt announcing who is in the dining room for breakfast or Holt trash-talking Wunch. I just love Holt.

Scorpion "Dominoes"
I wish I could buy the emotion in the episodes more, specifically from Walter. The rest of the cast I'm pretty good with. They all have clear motivations (Paige has a kid, Sylvester has his fears, Happy is orphaned, Toby deflects). Walter is a mix of a bit too much. He cares too much but also can't connect with people. I'm not sure if it's a shortcoming in Elyes Gabel or not, but Walter still feels like he's a tweak away from being a really engaging character.

No comments:

Post a Comment