Monday, December 22, 2014

2014 - The Shows I Didn't Watch

It's the end of another year and, despite not comfortably matching up with the TV calendar, I again feel compelled to offer my thoughts on the best of 2014 on TV. My giant ass list of movies is a little intimidating, so I like to break up the TV shows into more digestible parts.

This was a great year for TV but I'm cheap and/or only have so much time to watch things, so I missed a lot. Here's the shows I most wanted to watch, but for a variety of reasons (too far behind, wrong cable package, misjudged until it was too late) I didn't get to.

Top 10
Next Top 10
Everything in Between
Bottom 10
10 I Didn't See


The Good Wife
Why I Didn't Watch It: The show is several seasons in and I haven't see any of it.
Why I Need to Change That: Last season is widely regarded as one of the best (if not the best) seasons to date. It's getting ridiculous that I still haven't watched it. It's not going away.

Transparent
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have Amazon Prime
Why I Need to Change That: This stole all the buzz from the network shows this fall and I haven't heard a bad thing said about it to date. Jeffrey Tambor has apparently never been better and damn subscription fees for preventing me from watching this.

Rectify
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have...Sundance? IFC? I'm not sure which network. Regardless, it's not in my cable package.
Why I Need to Change That: This was one of my top ten shows last year and it almost certainly would've been this year had I seen it. It's the most beautiful atmospheric show on TV. I eagerly await when it shows up on Netflix or a DVD becomes available to rent.

Review with Andy Daly
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't think I saw a single advertisement for this.
Why I Need to Change That: I'm going to have to credit TV critic Alan Sepiwall with building my excitement for this. Anytime a professional critic spends half of his review breaking down and laughing is a great sign.

Broad City
Why I Didn't Watch It: It popped up out of nowhere and then I never got around to it.
Why I Need to Change That: Comedy Central was on fire this year and Broad City carried the majority of the buzz. I'm so used to ignoring whatever shows were advertised while I watched Tosh.0 that I missed a gem of a show, it seems.

Masters of Sex
Why I Didn't Watch It: I'm a season behind and I don't have Showtime.
Why I Need to Change That: While I haven't heard season 2 getting the praise season 1 did, it's still Lizzy Caplan and Michael Sheen. Do I need more than that?

Please Like Me
Why I Didn't Watch It: All kinds of not readily available to me. And, I'm a season behind.
Why I Need to Change That: The recommendations for it from a couple friends could not be any stronger. I only vaguely know what it's even about, but I get the sense that I'd enjoy it.

Jane the Virgin
Why I Didn't Watch It: I mean, it's on the CW and is based off a Telenovella.
Why I Need to Change That: It's only halfway through its first season, so it's not too late. From what I hear, it had a nice pilot but critics assumed it would give into its CW urges but hasn't, at least not yet.

Homeland 
Why I Didn't Watch It: Season 2 burned a lot bridges and I don't have Showtime anymore.
Why I Need to Change That: Seriously, season 2 really irritated me. I didn't hear anything good about season 3. It sounds like season 4 is experiencing an uptick in quality. Honestly though, it's probably too little, too late.

Shameless 
Why I Didn't Watch It: Again, I don't have Showtime anymore.
Why I Need to Change That: A top ten show for me last year, you better believe that when I considered keeping Showtime, this was the major motivation. I miss this show terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment