Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Abyss

The Pitch: Look, James Cameron really want to do stuff in water and develop new filming technology. Let's let him do this and get it out of his system (which will totally happen).

What Took Me So Long: The only things I ever heard about this were stories of actors (Ed Harris) wanting to kill James Cameron or having complete mental breakdowns on set...which all sounded about right for a James Cameron movie.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I can't call myself a watcher of blockbusters if I don't see all the stages of James Cameron's development. This was right after Aliens and right before Terminator 2 and True Lies, which perfectly fits the progression. It has the confined tension of Aliens and the spectacle of Judgment Day. It still looks pretty good for being a quarter century old. That has to count for something.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I can't say that, in my mind, I look at this as terribly different from Deep Blue Sea with an alien (or NTI) twist. The whole movie ends without answering a lot of questions, and it's not in a "that wasn't the part of the story they wanted to tell" way. It wasn't bad, but it was a little uncomfortable.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment