Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Top 10 Movies of 2018 So Far

The movie and TV calendars are opposites in almost every way. All the prestige TV shows go in the first half of the year to line up with Emmy voting. The prestige movies don't come out until the end of the year for the Oscars and all the precursor awards. The big TV shows that make the biggest splash turn up in the Fall for the start of the new TV season. The big movies belong to the Summer. In both cases, this getting less true every year. Film studios are increasingly looking for any unclaimed window of time to release something, regardless of when kids are or aren't in school. There are so many TV shows released by so many networks all vying for attention, that the best show of the year could come out at almost any point and without warning. Even still, I can comfortably make two claims about my mid-year check-ins:
  1. I've seen most of the best shows already.
  2. I've seen few of the best movies yet.
As I covered Sunday, the TV crop has been disappointing so far in 2018, which is disconcerting for the rest of the year's outlook. The list of movies hasn't been encouraging so far, but that's standard. If I've seem even three of my end of the year top 10 by now, I'd consider that a win.

I don't see 200+ new movies a year, so astute readers will notice that I haven't seen nearly enough movies to follow my self-imposed "100 movie minimum" for top 10 lists. So, unlike the end of the year list, for my mid-year top 10 movies, I'm using all the movies I've seen in 2018. That means 42 films released in 2018 and 67 movies released before that, including some stragglers from 2017. After far as monthly theming goes, this is weak, I'll admit. I suppose it does give you an idea of my headspace right now. I'm not sure there are any overall themes to my selections. I've seen a number of super old films. I broke into Indian films finally. Documentaries have a healthy share. I've spent the last few months trying to build up a better list to finish as a post Club 50 project. Instead, of one big project, it's more like a dozen small ones. I do worry that I'm hitting a point where I've picked through my most likely candidates for favorite movies. We'll see.

Next month's list is going to be insane, so I'm going to hold off on too much detail about how I worked down this list. Here are a few dozen movies I saw this year that didn't get much consideration for the top 10. There were some real stinkers - possibly even more than usual. I'm still fine with the list though. You live and you learn.

A Royal Affair (2012)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Annihilation (2018)
Beirut (2018)
Blockers (2018)
Buzzard (2015)
Cat People (1942)
Chinatown (1974)
Columbus (2017)
Crash Pad (2017)
Dark Water (2005)
Dawn Patrol (2014)
Deadpool 2 (2018)
Diabolique (1955)
Disobedience (2018)
Dude (2018)
Emelie (2015)
Face2Face (2018)
Fahrenheit 451 (2018)
Game Night (2018)
Good Time (2017)
Half Nelson (2006)
Hostiles (2017)
Isle of Dogs (2018)
Jab We Me (2007)
Jackie Brown (1997)
Kicking & Screaming (1995)
Kill Your Darlings (2013)
Krisha (2016)
Lagaan (2001)
Lean on Pete (2018)
Match Point (2005)
Meek's Cutoff (2011)
Mine (2017)
Molly's Game (2017)
My Bodyguard (1980)
My Fair Lady (1964)
Peter Rabbit (2018)
Rampage (2018)
Red Sparrow (2018)
Say Anything (1989)
Set It Up (2018)
Stagecoach (1939)
Strictly Ballroom (1993)
Super-Size Me (2004)
Tag (2018)
The Gift (2015)
The Interrupters (2011)
The Kid (1921)
The Post (2017)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
Tomb Raider (2018)
Tully (2018)
Upgrade (2018)
Vernon, FL (1981)
Weiner (2016)
Why Him? (2016)
Withnail & I (1987)
Wonder (2017)
Wonderstruck (2017)

Honorable Mention
In no particular order, the following films came the closest to breaking into the top 10.

56 Up (2013) - It's hard to separate any individual installment of this wonderful documentary series that's followed the same group of people since they were 7 years old (they're 61 as of 2018). I'm all caught up finally and can't wait for 2020.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - The movie had issues, sure, but I liked seeing how all those characters bounced off one another. And the Snap is too big of a pop culture moment to ignore.

Hereditary (2018) - A very solid horror movie. Perhaps victime to some overhyping.

North by Northwest (1959) - I can't believe it took me so long to get to this. Hitchcock sure was great.

Phantom Thread (2017) - I can't wait to rewatch this twisted little comedy. I'm honestly just so pleased to not have to see that trailer anymore.

Ready Player One (2018) - Speilberg making a movie about nostalgia for Speilberg's most influential era. I don't ever want to be too cynical to enjoy a dumb movie like this.

Rec (2007) - One of the best found footage movies from the pre-Paranormal Activity era.

Stop Making Sense (1984) - I was not expecting a Talking Heads concert movie to be so enjoyable. This may have made me into a fan of theirs.

The Death of Stalin (2018) - Armando Ianucci brings his hilarious take on the incompetency of government to Stalin era Russia. Many laughs were had.

The French Connection (1971) - Damn, that train chase was something else.

Top 10
10. Love, Simon (2018)
This is right in my wheelhouse - a coming-of-age high school movie about first love. I am curious how it will play in repeat viewings. These movies can age weirdly. It's such a well-populated world that I'm not too worried.

9. Incredibles 2 (2018)
Brad Bird is awesome. That's about all I have to say about that. Since the Jon Lassiter ousting, I've heard people insist that he hasn't been that influential with the projects for several years. I sure hope that's true, because I don't want to live in a world where I can't rely on Pixar making good movies.

8. Black Panther (2018)
It's fair to call this movie a cultural phenomenon. Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger is already a top on-screen 3 Marvel villain and he's just one person in an absolutely stacked cast.

7. American Graffiti (1973)
Much like Dazed & Confused 20 years later, I can't quite say why this relaxed, almost meandering movie works so well, but it does. It's funny to think about how this led to Star Wars. It's almost a shame that George Lucas' career got so dominated by the one thing. Almost.

6. Aliens (1986)
One of the best sequels of all time, especially when you consider that it changed directors and shifted into a different genre. It's like the Lou Grant of movie sequels.

5. Ocean's 8 (2018)
I love the heist structure of an Ocean's movie, and they couldn't've gotten the cast any better. It almost doesn't matter that the heist itself was underwhelming.

4. Halloween (1978)
A horror classic that it took me far too long to see. I have to agree with every good thing I've ever heard said about it. If all we got from the movie was that music, that would've been enough.

3. Thoroughbreds (2018)
I'm not sure how this ended up so high. I kept matching this up with other movies and this is the one that came out ahead. It's a twisted little story about friendship that worked for me in ways that probably aren't good signs for my mental health.

I fully admit to my Star Wars blindness. I refuse to do anything about it. If that means you have to say "Alex has really good points about most movies, but I just have to ignore his stance on Star Wars", I'm fine with that. This is a deeply flawed movie that I'll happily watch again in an instant.

1. I, Tonya (2017)
This does a lot of the same things that American Animals* or my favorite documentaries do: it challenges the "truth". I, Tonya tells an insane true story and flaunts the inconsistencies between the accounts. Because of that, it feels somehow more true despite being less coherent. It's also very, very funny.

*I'm only choosing among the movies I saw through 6/30, otherwise American Animals could be my #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment