Monday, July 16, 2018

Movie Reaction: Leave No Trace



Leave No Trace has some unfair expectations to live up to. It's writer/director Debra Granik's first film since 2010's Winter's Bone. That film is famous for being Jennifer Lawrence's big break, netting Lawrence her first Oscar nomination (at only 20 years old). It also got veteran actor, in a supporting role, John Hawkes his first Oscar nomination, not to mention a Best Picture nomination. Well, Leave No Trace stars another young, mostly unknown actress (Thomasin McKenzie), with a veteran actor in a supporting role (Ben Foster. Yeah, he's a "veteran" now. Don't I feel old?). You may recognize the similarly wooded surroundings and washed out color-palette. It's hard to find any mention of Leave No Trace without a Winter's Bone reference more than 10 words away. I'm not sure that's the best comparison though.

Leave No Trace is about a father (Foster) and daughter (McKenzie) who live off the land, deep in a state park in Oregon. It's a meager existence but they both seem to like it. The father is a veteran of some sort, clearly still suffering from PTSD.  They are eventually discovered in the park by the police and get set up in a house with a job for the father. It's clear he's not happy there, and they eventually set off on another adventure.

This film is beautifully shot and acted. McKenzie is a big discovery. Maybe not Jennifer Lawrence big, but that's an unfair bar to set. She plays everything small and confidently. The film isn't too wordy, so she has to express a lot through her face or how she carries herself. Ben Foster has been great for years. It doesn't seem possible that his career could already have the longevity that it does. Equally mystifying is that he's never landed any awards attention. In Leave No Trace, he's the polar opposite of his characters from movies like Hell or High Water or 3:10 to Yuma. He's stoic to the point of inertness. I can't think of many characters who look more uncomfortable and out of place sitting in a carpeted room. Both McKenzie and Foster must've done some wilderness training. They build fires and feather wood like they've been doing it for years. My understanding is that Granik casts the rest of her movie with a mix of regular people and trained actors. That sounds about right, because everyone else looks and acts like everyday people you could run into on the street. It adds to the sparseness and simplicity of the film.

The movie this actually reminds me of is Lean on Pete. That film from earlier this year is about a boy who travels across the country in search of a dream he isn't sure even exists. He spends a lot of the film in mild peril and has to be more adult than someone his age should be. Leave No Trace is very much the same except that McKenzie's Tom does have her dad most of the time. He might as well be a horse though.

As much as I like the film-making on display in Leave No Trace, I have some problems with where the story goes that I can't get over. Ben Foster's Will is a bad father. He loves Tom deeply. I have no doubt about that, but he's awful for her. He puts her in severe danger and wrecks her life in a number of ways. In Lean on Pete, the father is out of the picture before he has to face what he's done to his child. In Captain Fantastic, the father gets to make amends for this experiment with his children that he took too far. In Leave No Trace, Will forces his daughter to finally be the adult about it. I get that he's damaged. That's the point of the movie. The film really lets him off the hook too much for my taste. He has the best of intentions, but he abuses that child. Plain and simple. There has to be some accountability for that. I ended up disliking Will much more than the film seems to by the end.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do with this movie. I rejected the core of the film but liked everything else about it. However, that one thing colors my opinion of nearly every scene. I suppose my award analogy would be that I'd root for McKenzie and Foster to get acting nominations. I wouldn't mind Granik getting a director nod as well as others getting technical nominations. I wouldn't want it to get a Best Picture nomination though. It probably doesn't help that Lean on Pete covered similar territory earlier this year without the central flaw. And I do worry that I'm getting too hung up about one element, because the rest of so well done. It makes me want to forgive it. I can't do it. 
Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment