Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Movie Reaction: Lean on Pete

Formula: Into the Wild / Seabiscuit

Based on the trailer, Lean on Pete is a movie about a teenage boy with a dysfunctional home life, who takes a job working for a horse trainer, falls in love with one of the horses, and runs away with the horse when he find out it's being sold. It turns out , that's a bit of a misdirect. At least, it's only a surface level description at best. I certainly wasn't interested in seeing the movie based on the trailer alone. I only saw it because I respect director Andrew Haigh's work on Weekend (and to a lesser extent, Looking) and figured if he was directing a movie like this, there must be a reason.

It turns out that was a good hunch. Lean on Pete is one of the more emotional films I've seen in a while. Haigh is a master at stretching out an emotion without dulling the impact. The phrase I keep coming back to is that the film is one drawn-out, powerful kick to the balls with an ice pack at the end. It's probably not for everyone. For those in the right headspace, it's a pretty profound experience: not always easy, but totally worth it.

In case you aren't like me and haven't seen the trailer a dozen times before movies over the last few months, Lean on Pete is about Charley (Charlie Plummer). He's a 15 year old boy who moves around a lot with his father. His mother isn't around anymore and his father is a deadbeat. He cares for his son deeply. He just probably shouldn't be a father. Charley stumbles onto a job working for Del (Steve Buscemi), a horse owner at a track near him in a run down part of Portland. Charley takes to the job and bonds with one of the horses, Lean on Pete, despite warnings from Del and his jockey (Chloe Sevigny) to not get too attached. There's nothing profound about this connection. He just likes the horse and has little else going for him. Eventually, Charley's home life deteriorates right around the time when he finds out that Lean on Pete is going to be sold and slaughtered, so he impulsively runs off with the horse. Charley has an idea of an endgame after that but little idea how to make it happen. Really, this is a movie about a kid who doesn't feel wanted. All his actions and, in turn, the movie, are driven by that.

Charlie Plummer is terrific. I barely recognized him from when I saw him in All the Money in the World. Most of his work here is non-verbal except for one . Despite doing some stupid things in the movie, I never questioned what he was thinking or what his motivations were. I believed every step of his journey. Buscemi is a distant second in screen time. He plays a prickly mentor type well. The movie is smart to leave him behind before we ultimately figure out what he's about. He could turn out to be a surrogate father or he could be a foul man who is taking advantage or a trusting kid. I film isn't concerned with answering that. I've always preferred Sevigny is roles like this that allow her to be loose. As Charley's father, Travis Fimmel stops just short of being unlikable. No one else Charley runs into on his journey really popped.

I don't normally notice a lot of the technical elements in a movie, but I loved the camerawork in this. Andrew Haigh and director of photography Magnus Nordenhof Jønck have beautifully simple shots. They don't cut to different angles often. A lot of the scenes play out in a single shot. The camera movement is minimal and precise. They understand that if the camera doesn't move a lot, then the impact when it actually does move is greater.

This is a very patient movie and that did start to wear on me by the end. There's one chapter too many. By the last leg of Charley's journey, I started to wonder when the hell he was going to get there. It's not a big deal. I'm pretty sure if you hate the movie, it's not going to take that long for you to turn on it. I just think Haigh underlines the point a bit to much.

Lean on Pete could end up being one of my favorite movies of the year, or it could be one I never want to see again. It's that kind of movie. I felt very strongly about it and I liked it. Any other ending would've pissed me off, so I'm glad it ended like it did.

Movie Theater MVP: Everyone sitting in front of or next to me. This wasn't a pack theater. It was maybe 1/3 to 1/2 full. Every single person I saw stayed all the way through the credits. Short of a Marvel movie, I've never had that happen. It was sort of surreal. I think we all needed a minute to collect ourselves. We'd been through a lot.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment