Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Movie Reaction: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Formula: The Italian Job / Rogue One: A Star Was Story

We are four movies into the Disney Star Wars era and it's pretty clear now how this is going to work. The saga movies (the Episodes), are the big movies. They are the ones the fans will complain about being too similar to what they've done before then get angry when someone tries to do anything different (See: Jedi, The Last). When people think "Star Wars", they are thinking of the saga movies. The stories (RogueOne, Solo), are a bit more experimental. They are the Silmarillion and the Saga movies are the Lord of the Rings if you need a different nerd comparison. They are fundamentally smaller movies that function as entertaining footnotes for the larger Star Wars series. General audiences and Disney need to adapt to this and everyone will be a lot happier.

I'm pretty split about Solo. On one hand, it's a Star Wars movie and I have a soft spot for anything Star Wars. The film assembled an excellent cast and got good performances out of nearly all of them. The action set pieces are well put together, inventive, and intricate. On the other hand, it has some tonal issues that I'm sure tie back to behind the scenes drama and the storytelling is filled with pet peeves of mine.

As you can assume from the title, Solo is a Han Solo origin story. It begins with Han (Alden Ehrenreich) on a run-down shipbuilding planet called Corellia. He and his girlfriend, Qi'ra (Emilia Clarke), work indebted to a local crime boss and dream of getting off that planet. When an escape attempt leaves Han and Qi'ra separated, Han enlists in the Imperial army hoping to become an Imperial pilot (really, he just wants to be a pilot. He's pretty indifferent about the Empire). That doesn't go so well, because, you know, Han doesn't follow orders very well. He deserts the Imperial army to join a gang of thieves led by Thomas Beckett (Woody Harrelson). It's a pretty plot-heavy movie, so I'll stop there. I'm pretty sure no one is deciding whether or not to see this based on the story, anyway.

I was very pleased with how they populated this movie. Donald Glover's Lando Calrissian is a pitch perfect Billy Dee Williams impression. He has some fun exaggerating the character, but he doesn't go too wild with it. I've heard a lot of people say that the movie needed more Lando. I do agree that more Donald Glover makes everything better, but I'm actually fine with the amount we get. Lando is such a big character, that he'd take over the movie if there was more of him. Emilia Clarke is great in Game of Thrones, but it was Terminator Genysis that convinced me she's an action movie star. She fits right in as Han's morally compromised old flame. Woody Harrelson has aged nicely into mentor roles. He's not a role model, but he is the person Han needs to become the man we meet in A New Hope (Han shot first!). Phoebe Waller-Bridge has a delightful minor role voicing Lando's droid co-pilot, L3. She's an outspoken "droids' rights" advocate. It's a brash performance. I imagine audience response to her will be divisive. I liked the character because they don't use her too much. Any more of her would've been annoying. Chewbacca shows up. The best thing I can say about that is that I didn't realize Peter Mayhew wasn't playing him. Joonas Suotamo (also Chewie in The Last Jedi) gets the physicality of that performances right.

You've probably noticed that I've avoided talking about Alden Ehrenriech as Han. Well, he is fine in the roe. He is not doing a Harrison Ford impression. Thank god. That is a fool's errand. His performance is recognizably Han though. As I mentioned, this is a very plot-heavy movie with a lot of characters to introduce. Ehrenreich ends up the odd man out. Han is the lead character in that he's in almost every scene, but the focus is normally on the other characters or what's happening in the scene. Hopefully, if they do make a sequel, more time will be spent figuring out what Ehrenriech can bring to the role. I loved him in Hail, Caesar! I'm sure he has more to offer as Han than what we see in Solo.

With any origin story, the audience is going in with a set of questions they are hoping to have answered. Solo tries to answer all of them. That's a feature and a bug. Ron Howard and the Kasdans would've been crucified if they skipped things like the Kessel Run or how Han and Chewie met. The explanations they come up with all work individually. They do an admirable job fitting them all into the movie. The problem I ran into is that this checklist of questions to answer drove the story too much. Han Forrest Gumps his way through his own life. Another thing that bothered me is that Han Solo has a lifetime of stories when we meet him in A New Hope. It's frustrating to see all those stories covered in the few weeks or months that this movie takes place in. Given that Disney has plans for a sequel, you'd think they'd split some of it up. As is, if they make Solo 2 (or, as I'm calling it, Duo), they'll have to build this great adventure out of things that Han never mentions again.

OK, it's time for the elephant in the room. Midway through production, Disney replaced directors Phillip Lord and Chis Miller with Ron Howard. I adore Lord & Miller's other movies (The Lego Movie, 21 & 22 Jump Street). They are masters at making bad ideas into good ideas. Ron Howard's movies are quite good as well, although his greatest skill has always been making studio-friendly movies with a fairly invisible touch. I've had some time to think about this, and here's my take: I'm glad Ron Howard took over. In fact, I wish he would've had the movie from the start. Star Wars isn't ready for a Lord & Miller take on the series. They work best when they can point out the inherent ridiculousness of the story. Their Solo would look more like Thor Ragnarok. I enjoyed Ragnarok a lot, but it only worked because it was the third Thor movie. The character and world were established. The story in Solo isn't ready for that kind of anarchy. Watching Solo was a little bizarre, because the parts that felt like Lord & Miller jokes or scenes died both times I saw it. It's like Ron Howard and the editors didn't know how to get those moments to work. I feel like those would've been a lot smoother had Howard been able to craft those from the beginning. Granted, I'll never really know what parts of the movie came from Howard and which came from Lord & Miller. All I can say is that the tone of the movie didn't really work. I assume that's due to the direction change.

If Solo wasn't a Star Wars Story - if it was some generic Sci Fi action movie, I can't say I'd love it that much. It fails my One Big Leap test by shrinking the universe too much. The plot drives too much of it and the lead character is somewhat anonymous. Solo is a Star Wars Story though. With that comes an infrastructure that I love. The music, the effects, the production design, and the costumes are all on point. The world is filled with interesting characters and the casting is impeccable. I happily saw the movie twice this weekend (something I almost never do except for Star Wars movies).
Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

After the Credits

I went on a longrant about Solo's opening weekend at the box office. It went a little long, so I made it its own post. (which I'll be posting soon)

Some other spoilery thoughts:
*I am not a fan of how much the movie shrank the Star Wars universe. Darth Maul just happens to be Qi'ra's boss. Han essentially bankrolls the Rebellion that he'll be joining a decade or two later. Han's first job as a thief, presumably the first thing he does since signing up for the Imperial army on the day they were separated, leads him to Qi'ra by complete coincidence. I forgive a lot of this with Jedi or characters strong in the Force. The Force is a convenient excuse for contrivance in these movies, but it doesn't make as much sense for a Force agnostic character like Han Solo. It's just lazy writing.

*The punchlines in this were very weird. Han getting the last name "Solo". That was clearly meant to be a wink at the audience joke (i.e. the writer/director saying "we're in on the joke. We know it's dumb. That's why it's funny"), but it plays awfully. It got more groans than laughs. The joke about Han holding a rock and pretending it's a bomb died both times I saw it. It needed one more beat to work. There's the scene when Qi'ra takes down the guy on Kessel during their "negotiations". They don't actually show what she did. They just have L3 comment on it in awe. I'd be shocked if that wasn't a Lord & Miller joke, or at least one written with them in mind. It's too meta not to be. That didn't get much of a reaction either when I saw it. That's what I mean when I say the tone was off. There's a good laugh to be found in all of these things but they weren't played right. Don't get me wrong. Plenty of jokes did work. I loved Lando riding off with the Millennium Falcon. That was great as was L3's excitement during her Norma Rae moment. It's mostly the one-liners that fell flat.

*The Kessel Run is the one absolute requirement in the movie and they did it justice. They tied it into how the Falcon got so banged up by A New Hope really nicely. I've always assumed that Han's brag about making the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs didn't have to be a gaff. I'm sure it was a goof at the time, because Han clearly said that in A New Hope to brag about its speed, not his piloting. In Solo, they justify why he would be so proud of that accomplishment. That said, it sure would've had more of an impact if it wasn't the first time piloting the ship. I love how instantly it's clear that this Kessel Run is going to be Han's pick-up line at every bar for the rest of his life.

*I've caught onto Lucasfilm's strategy in these non-saga movies: If everyone dies, then there's less to explain later. Everyone in Rogue One dies. In Solo, Qi'ra is the only character we didn't know beforehand to survive. Even leaving that loose end is going to be a problem. I really like Qi'ra. They can't make her too much more important to Han, because there's no sign of a Qi'ra in his past in A New Hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment