Saturday, March 17, 2012

Movie Reaction: 21 Jump Street

Formula: 1980s TV Show + 20 years * Comedy


Cast:
I'm a Channing Tatum fan now. I've always like Jonah Hill, but short of being adapted from a Nicholas Sparks novel, I'll probably give a movie a chance if he's in it.
I've always enjoyed when a comedy is basically, a couple movie stars, a character actor or two, plus a shit ton of people from TV comedies that I watch to round out the call list. There are a lot of comedic chops in just about every scene. Oh, and there's at least one fantastic cameo I never saw coming.

Plot:
The best comedies remember what they are from start to finish. This movie succeeded at that. It took the premise and ran with it, never forgetting it was supposed to be funny and never took itself too seriously. There's a lot of meta humor to it that I loved as well.

The Elephant in the Room
It's a movie treatment of an 80s TV show. I hate those as much as anyone*. But, the undercover adult playing a high schooler plot is a pretty common plot device and that's almost all the movie took from the show, so cut it some slack.

* That's not true. I really liked I-Spy of all things and Get Smart was quality as well. You know. The first Transformers movie was pretty good too. Maybe people need to quit complaining about this sub-Genre.

To Sum Things Up
See it. It's really good, and pretty broad, in the good sense, so just about anyone will enjoy it. You can doubt me because it looks kind of stupid, but you'll watch it on Starz Play in your instant queue in 9 months and have that brief moment where you will think "Alex is so smart and has such good taste. He's pretty handsome too. I'm lucky I know him". Do yourself a favor and take my word on it and see it.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

2 comments:

  1. Have you or will you see THE VOW now that you're a big Channing fan? What about MAGIC MIKE when it comes out? You know I will be seeing that but for different reasons. Also, I think he has to get shirts specially fitted with a wider collar for his neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "but short of being adapted from a Nicholas Sparks novel, I'll probably give a movie a chance if he's in it."

    That covers the vow. And yes, there's a good chance I'll see Magic Mike and GI Joe, but if I find him doing more comedy, that's likely a definite.

    ReplyDelete