Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Movies That Should Be Sequels that Aren't

Movie franchises are a dime a dozen these days. It seems like every 25 million dollar movie is deemed worthy of a sequel of diminished quality. Because of this, whenever I see a couple movies with similar titles, I immediately assume they are related.

In that spirit, I give you my far from complete list of movies I thought were sequels and was very wrong about.

1. 28 Days / 28 Days Later



This is perhaps the most obvious pairing on the list. Even knowing one movie is about drug rehab and the other a zombie flick, I still have to remind myself there is no similarity at all. The most confusing part: coming out in 2000 and 2002, they even have a standard gap for sequel turnover.

2. 8MM / Super 8



Sure, both involve 8MM cameras, but in very different ways. One is a Nic Cage movie about snuff. The other is a family friendly monster movie. In other words, not too similar.

3. The Fifth Element / The Sixth Sense



Ok, this one is a stretch at first, but think about it. Came out in '97 and '99. Both staring Bruce Willis. And, there are worse names for sequels. I'm still waiting for "The 7th Wonder" or the prequel, "The Fourth Corner".

4. The Peacemaker / The Rainmaker



Undeniable naming consistency. Turns out they came out only 2 months apart. Even Ed Wood would find that kind of turnaround tough.

5. Sugar & Spice / Salt



A comedy about bank robbing cheerleaders and a somewhat capable thriller starring an A-lister who's box office success has never matched her box office success. Try watching them back-to-back. They aren't such a bad pairing.

6. 9 Months / Due Date



Ignore the 15 year gap. Both star a charming Hollywood leading man, with some of the best funny-men in the biz to keep things entertaining. The names have a journey and destination quality to them.

7. The Village / The Town



My second M.Night Shyamalan movie on the list. It'd starting to make me think he should look into franchising. The whole "big twist" schtick has certainly run its course.

8. Blue State / Red State



Haven't heard of either movie. There's good reason for it. One is a wannabe comedy about political disillusionment [and Canada] and the other is horror thriller about fundamentalists killing the kids from Footloose. Kevin Smith directed one of these and it's probably not the one you're thinking. I find it interesting note that each movie came out 3 years after the other party won the presidential election.

9. The Mexican / The American



Two movies raiding the Ocean's cookie jar. I don't know anything about them, but George Clooney has a history of taking as the lead in a franchise (Bat Nipples, anyone?).

10. Stepmom / Step Brothers



Yeah, I'm getting a little lazy with the list at this point. This is harder than it looks. The titles are similar though, no?

11. Ghost Rider / The Ghost Writer



Fuck you. Homophones count.

12. Man on a Ledge / Jumper



Ok, ok. I never would think these were a franchise, but that those titles put together are funny. I also think most people wouldn't mind a movie about Hayden Christensen jumping off a building.


I may revisit this list in the future if I find some more. Please, so let me know of any you can think of as I'm sure they're out there.

1 comment:

  1. These are great, and 28 DAYS/28 DAYS LATER is the best and most classic mistaken sequel. I still like to think of them as a franchise. THAT REHAB CENTER GOT REAL REALLY QUICKLY! Don't get off drugs/alcohol, and you WILL turn into a zombie.

    I don't have much to contribute b/c I can't think of any right now b/c it's in the morning at work, but believe I will alert you when I do.

    ReplyDelete