Sunday, May 20, 2018

Delayed Reaction: The Boss Baby

The Pitch: Put Jack Donaghy in a diaper.

A boy comes to terms with getting a baby brother by imagining his brother as a high-level executive in a company.

The movie is built on a clever idea: using a big metaphor to explain an olding sibling's feelings about getting a new sibling. The problem with doing this is that the more elaborate the metaphor, the harder it is to make everything fit. I spent the majority of this movie wondering what the version  of this movie looked like in "reality", not through the older son's imagination. That's a problem because that leads to a lot of plot holes and made me realize how much of the movie is covering up a lot of child endangerment with a metaphor. I'm fully aware that I watched The Boss Baby the wrong way. I can't help it. My adult brain gets on the way of things.

It's hard to do movies about a hidden world in a way that doesn't end up bothering me. I can't say why I don't mind it as much in Wreck-It Ralph or Toy Story. Perhaps it's because those movies aren't that concerned with making the audience believe you. In The Boss Baby, Tim points out that he knows there's holes in his story and tries to defend them. I think that's what loses me. I don't need to believe that the Boss Baby world is real. No one does (that's part of the fun of animation), so quit trying to explain how it works in a real world.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment