Monday, May 21, 2018

Movie Reaction: Disobedience

Formula: This Is Where I Leave You * Brokeback Mountain

I could lie to you. I could tell you a lot of things about what brought me to this movie. I could say that my curiosity about Sebastian Lelio's last movie, A Fantastic Woman, which won the Foreign Picture Oscar for 2017, led me to this. I could point out that I've always been curious about Judaism - the only religion with more historical baggage than Catholicism. I could even say I wanted a break from all the blockbusters and studio comedies this month. Really, what got me into the theater was that this was the lesbian romance movie with the two Rachels (McAdams and Weisz). To be fair, if you dropped the romance element of it and just had a movie with Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams, I'd still be likely to see it. However, I want to make sure I cede the moral high ground before I get too deep into the discussion of the film.

Disobedience is about Ronit (Weisz), a photographer in New York City, who finds out that her father has died. Her father, a popular Rabbi in his community, hasn't spoken to Ronit in years and kept his sickness a secret from her. Once Ronit gets word of his death, she returns to the Orthodox Jewish community in England that she left behind years ago. It doesn't take long for her to remember why she left in the first place. There is one person she's pleased to see again: her old friend and, it turns out, lover Esti (McAdams), who is now married to Ronit's other old friend, Dovid (Alessandro Nivola), who is set to take her father's place as the new Rabbi. So, Ronit gets to deal with her feelings for Esti resurfacing at the same time that she's grappling with not being able to say goodbye to her father. Needless to say, there's a lot of emotions flying around in this one.

I thought about avoiding mention of the lesbian angle of the film. Even though it's all over the advertising for it (take one look at the poster), the movie curiously sets it up like a surprise. Early on, it's played like Ronit and Dovid used to be an item. It takes a while before it's revealed that Esti is her old love, not Dovid. As a twist, it's handled slyly in the movie, but it's doubtful that anyone who plans on seeing this would come in blind to that. So, I don't know if I can be mad at the marketing for spoiling that.

Disobedience does a great job setting up all the dominoes but has no idea how to knock them all down. I enjoyed the first two acts when Esti and Ronit decide if they should rekindle their romance, Dovid becomes aware of their relationship, and Ronit finds out what's in her father's will. The story sputtered in the third act. The best comparison I can come up with is it's like when you are listening to someone tell you a story and they forget the word they want to use and get struck dumb until they can come up with the right word. The third act feels like that pause I think Disobedience has something very profound that is wants to say, but it can't figure out how to say it. It's strange, because this is based on a novel. I'm curious if the novel had as much trouble sticking the landing or if it has an end that's hard to translate into film. Because of the ending problem, the film drags a bit. I got impatient by the end.

There's a lot of Judaism in this, which was all very foreign to me. I wonder how much I missed just because I wasn't familiar with certain practices or terminology. Sebastian Lelio does a terrific job bringing the audience into this world without over-explaining things. He isn't looking up to or down at the people. I feel like he did his research.

The central trio of Weisz, McAdams, and Kuperman do a great job. The film avoids melodrama and doesn't paint anyone as a villain. I was reminded a lot of Take This Waltz, which is high praise. Ultimately, I was underwhelmed by the message of it all (or lack thereof) which tanked a lot of the rest of it.
Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment