Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Delayed Reaction: Hedwig and the Angry Inch

The Pitch: Don't worry about the plot. Just listen to the music.

The story of an East German transgender rock band frontwoman touring the US to protest the betrayal of her former protege.

That was a trip.

Most of what I know of Hedwig and the Angry Inch comes from covers of the songs by people like Rufus Wainwright and The Polyphonic Spree. It started as an off-Broadway show by John Cameron Mitchell, who adapted it into a movie which became an audience favorite when it premiered at Sundance. I don't hear a lot about the movie though. Perhaps it's because John Cameron Mitchell doesn't work a ton. He's done some TV spots in recent years on Girls and Vinyl. He's only directed three movies since Hedwig (Shortbus, Rabbit Hole, How to Talk to Girls at Parties). Perhaps the stage productions of Hedwig simply capture the spirit of the story better. Probably a lot of it is that I'm not very tapped into LGBTQ cinema. It seems like this movie would have a bigger cult following than I've run into though. I assume the cult following is out there. It must be. The film is too enjoyable for it not to be.

I thought this movie was a lot of fun. It's delightfully convoluted and high energy. The music is terrific. It was fun seeing a baby Michael Pitt as the antagonist. It approached camp a little more than I care for, but that's about my only issue with the movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment