Saturday, June 9, 2018

Delauyed Reaction: When We First Met

The Pitch: How many chances does someone need to get Alexandra Daddario to fall in love with him?

A man uses a time-traveling photo booth to get his one true love to fall in love with him.

All RomComs are about stalking on some level. Think about it. They are all about one person pining over another person. He/she is either pursuing the other people without that person realizing it or pursuing the other person against his/her wishes in the hopes of changing that person's mind. Because it's a RomCom, that normally works, but it's deeply disturbing if you look too closely at it. Think about that sweet old couple in When Harry Met Sally. That old man didn't take 'no' for an answer and broke his future wife down. It seems to have worked out, but that kind of move in today's climate would (and arguably should) get that man crucified. You can apply logic like this to nearly every RomCom and ruin the whole genre.

I love RomComs though, and I can't help it. I realize that they are escapism, not real life. That's why it's nice when a movie like When We First Met abandons all preconceptions about reality. I'm never going to find a time-traveling photo booth that gives me a chance to try again with the one who got away, so I don't have to worry about the mixed messages built into that conceit. For that matter, I don't even have a one that got away, so these movies are pure fantasy for me to begin with. I suppose you could say I'm a glutton for regret, which explains the appeal of movies like this and About Time, or even high school coming-of-age movies. I'm a big fan of being able to ask "I wonder what would've happened if...?", even though I realize that wrecks havoc on my mental well-being.

Enough about my fragile psyche though.

When We First Met is exactly the movie I expected. Noah (Adam Devine) spends a great night with Avery (Alexandra Daddario) and gets friend-zoned hard when he waited too long to make a move. Years later, on the eve of her marriage, he gets a chance to keep reliving that first night and see how things change years later. You can imagine all the iterations of this and how none of them work out like he hopes. You can either guess how this ends 20 minutes into the movie or, like me, you are able to turn your brain off enough to let it surprise you despite the obviousness. Either way, it's more fun to watch it than to have me spell it out.

Adam Devine fascinates me. Like, what is his ideal role? He has that perfect everyman look where he's fairly handsome but you don't think about it. He looks like the kind of guy who could believably get someone out of his league (i.e. he's slightly better looking than the Apatow-ian lead). He also really likes being weird. Not Paul Rudd or Jon Hamm weird, where it's used to offset their looks. Weird for weird's sake. He works in a supporting role in Pitch Perfect and also a lead role in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates. I'm not sure where he's optimal. He works well for this movie though. His chemistry with Avery's best friend, Carrie (Shelley Hennig) is especially charming and easy. Hennig fits into a comedy better than I would've expected given her Teen Wolf and teen horror filmography I like that Alexandra Daddario really wants to make comedy work. She's shown up in small roles in a number of sitcoms. Her recent filmography includes movies like Baywatch and The Layover that don't quite work, despite considerable effort. Given that Avery is more of an object than a person in this, her effort is enough. Comedy is about putting in the reps, and she's doing that.

I can attach no superlatives to When We First Met. It's not the funniest or the cleverest execution of this basic idea. It's ably cast. I found it charming and easy to watch. I don't see it changing anyone's mind about RomComs.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment