Thursday, April 12, 2018

Movie Reaction: Isle of Dogs

Formula: Fantastic Mr. Fox + Dogs

I love dogs. I don't love Wes Anderson. That's the central conflict when I watched Isle of Dogs. That made for a very interesting internal battle for me. Do I love dogs enough to offset the off putting style of Wes Anderson's movies? Should the fact that they aren't real dogs take away from the appeal of the dogs? Should the excellent voice cast lessen the drag of Anderson's writing? I don't know the last time I've been so conflicted about the dominant forces of a movie.

I've seen all but one of Wes Anderson's movies (I'm in no hurry to get to The Darjeeling Limited). I admit that he is an incredibly talented filmmaker. He's as distinct as anyone making movies right now. He writes tight, clever scripts. He has all the best actors lining up to deliver his lines. His precision as a director is staggering, especially considering that I appreciate math in art. He tops the list of directors who I want to love. I don't though, despite my efforts. What he does just rubs me the wrong way. I find his movies more clever than funny, more precise than personal, and more praised than liked. Watching his movies is like watching a basketball team that is over-coached. All the plays are executed perfectly. The players all know their exact roles. That team may win more games, but I'd rather watch a team that's coached to play to every players' strengths and takes a few risks.

Isle of Dogs is set in the Japanese city of Megasaki, 20 years in the future. The mayor of the city uses the public's fear of a canine disease (snout fever) spreading to humans as a reason to exile all dogs to a nearby trash island. A few years pass. The domesticated dogs have settled into their new scourging existence. One day, the mayor's nephew flies a plane to and crashes on this isle of dogs, hoping to find his dog, Spot. He gets the help of a pack of dogs voiced by Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Bob Balaban, Bill Murray, and Jeff Goldblum. This quest takes them across the island. Meanwhile, in Megasaki, a cure is found for snout fever. The mayor hides this discovery from the people. A group of protesters try to expose this cover up. This all eventually comes to a head and that is the movie.

Saying that Isle of Dogs is the most I've immediately enjoyed any Wes Anderson movie isn't saying much. It is saying something though. Anderson's movies have always been set in cartoon worlds, so animation makes it easier to swallow what he's doing. The animators do impressive detail work here. An island made of trash gives them a lot of freedom to make weird and creative locations. The voice cast is second to none in terms of star wattage. Cranston has the lead role, as a former stray who bonds with the boy who crashes on the island. He bites, but he doesn't know why, and that doesn't make him a bad dog. That's the theme of the movie in a nutshell. You can read this movie as highly political or you can just takes away some good messages from it. I chose to do the latter.

It's tricky to talk about Wes Anderson's humor. That's because it's funnier to talk about his jokes than to experience them. Looking back on the movie, there's a lot of things that are very, very funny. The recurring gags like the oracle dog (voiced appropriately by Tilda Swinton) using its "powers", Goldblum's dog always knowing all the latest gossip, and the desire for the dogs to put everything to a vote make me chuckle just thinking about them. While I was watching the movie, these things didn't get many laughs. There's was a lot of polite laughter: people thought something was funny and chose to laugh like it was a reward for how much thought went into it. Laughter didn't come very often as an unconscious reaction*. I'm pretty sure I'll laugh harder talking to friends about the jokes in the movie afterwards than I did in the theater. That's how it is for a lot of Wes Anderson's movies.

*This is obviously my perception of it. Perhaps other people would insist that it was a raucous theater.

Honestly, I'm just so damn relieved that this movie has finally been released. This is the worst Lone Ranger Rule* candidate since, possibly The Lone Ranger. I'm so damn happy to finally see the movie and be done with the trailer for it that I might be running on more of a high than I otherwise would be. Maybe I'll grow to hate the movie by the end of the year. I'm fine with saying that Isle of Dogs is of a piece with Anderson's other work. It has all the same strengths and flaws as his other movies. I respect it more than I like it.

*I saw the Lone Ranger trailer before so many movies back in 2013 that I felt like I had to see the movie or else all those trailers were just wasted time. So, whenever a movie trailer becomes a month long staple of my cinema-going, it gets the same treatment. I'm working on the metrics for the rule, but here's a taste: Since 1/1/18, I've seen the Isle of Dogs trailer before 8 movies. The next closest is 5 for another movie. This doesn't even factor in the months of trailers I saw for Isle of Dogs before 2018.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment