Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Delayed Reaction: 8 1/2

The Pitch: "I'm not ready. Ask me again later."

A director with directors block stalls for time until he can figure out what his nearly in production film is about.

There are few cliches that don't apply to 8 1/2. It's up there with Citizen Kane and 2001: A Space Odyssey as the definitive film nerd movie. It's is certainly among the 10 most influential films ever made and a favorite for references in movies or TV shows that went right over your head. That ended up hurting my appreciation of the film. I was ready for it. I've seen the movie Nine and an opera based on the story. I've heard countless descriptions and discussions of the movie. I was watching it for the first time somehow remembering scenes before they happened. The movie ended up being more of a checklist than a movie experience for me. Still, it was nice to check it off the list. I love meta touches in a story, and this came out decades before that came in vogue. Even in optimal circumstances, there was a ceiling on how much I'd like it. I'm a bit of a literalist (at least, that's the best word I've found for it). It's why I have trouble with someone like David Lynch. So, something this avant garde and at times surreal turns me off. I can get over it, but I realize it might've been better to ease my way into Fellini with a La Strada or Nights of Cabiria first. Oh well. Good movie. Weird. Worth seeing. Don't try too hard to understand it. Just soak it in.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment