Sunday, April 15, 2018

Top 10 Movies of 2009

Another month, another top 10 list. I haven't gotten tired of these yet. Hopefully, I'm not alone in that. Next up is the year of Avatar, The Hangover, and a bunch of really lousy sequels. There's some good movies in there too.

A quick reminder of my stipulations for the list. I go by U.S. box office release. If there wasn't one in BoxofficeMojo, then I stuck with how IMDB had it listed. As a rule, I only make a top 10 list if I've seen 100+ movies of that type. 2009 checks in with a tally of 109 movies. In this post, I'll list all 109 movies. So, if you don't see a movie there, that means I haven't seen it or you are mistaken about the year it was released. By all means, let me know if I'm missing something you think is an obvious contender for best of the year that I haven't seen. Lastly, this is my subjective top 10 list. I try to refrain from looking at "most important" or "most technically sound" movies, because anyone can come up with that list. My goal is to come up with 10 good movies that I like better than everything else in the list. At the end of the day, that's the only measure I can honestly stand by.

1st Cut
As you can tell by now, half the fun of this for me is coming up with my way of whittling down my list to 10. I prefer doing head to head comparisons rather than picking out a list arbitrarily. It keeps me more honest. This month, my method of choosing was mess. I grouped and regrouped and had consolation groupings and resortings. In the first couple rounds of cuts, I wouldn't read too much into the difference between when one movie was cut versus another.

The first cut does include some real stinkers though.Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen should be buried and never spoken of again. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a complete mess. I've blocked out so much of Land of the Lost that I can't name anyone in the cast other than Will Farrell. The movie that will surprise the most people to see here is Coraline. I know some people really love it. I really didn't.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The Twilight Saga: New Moon
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
A Christmas Carol (2009)
It's Complicated
G-Force
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Law Abiding Citizen
The Ugly Truth
Confessions of a Shopaholic
Old Dogs
Obsessed
Land of the Lost
Jennifer's Body
Gamer
Elsewhere
Fired Up
Pandorum
Post Grad
Dragonball Evolution
Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder
The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Bandslam
The Girlfriend Experience
Powder Blue
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
Miss March
Naked Ambition: An R-Rated Look at an X Rated Industry

2nd Cut
By the second cut, I'm already getting rid of some decent movies. There's a couple RomComs in here that are perfectly harmless. Fantastic Mr. Fox's only sin is being a Wes Anderson movie. I hold a grudge with Everybody's Fine for putting me in an awful mood after the one time I watched it.

The Men Who Stare at Goats
Adam
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Monsters Vs. Aliens
The Proposal
Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel
New Yourk, I Love You
2012
Away We Go
Drag Me to Hell
Couples Retreat
Everybody's Fine
I Love You Beth Cooper
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
Gigantic

3rd Cut
Several of the movies in the third cut I need to see again. Watchmen, Fanboys, and Adventureland I all remember liking but have left little long term impression on me. I don't have an excuse for Year One lasting this long on the list.

Adventureland
Fanboys
Watchmen
Julie & Julia
Public Enemies
Angels & Demons
Extract
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism
Sunshine Cleaning
Sherlock Holmes
Year One
Observe and Report
Bronson
Terminator Salvation
World's Greatest Dad
He's Just Not That Into You
Paper Heart
Bride Wars

4th Cut
The last few before getting to outright recommendation territory. I like a lot more of these in theory than in actuality. Mystery Team is a nice experiment for Derrick Comedy. I'm fine with Sandra Bullock getting her Oscar for The Blind Side. More Than a Game is more than just a Lebron James documentary. In the Loop I'd probably enjoy more now that I've seen a lot of The Thick of It.

In the Loop
Inglourious Basterds
More Than a Game
Fast and Furious
Brothers
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
The Hangover
The Road
The Blind Side
Mystery Team

Honorary Mention
Avatar - It's hard to argue with how big and beautiful this movie is.
District 9 - It's a shame Neill Blomkamp keeps finding ways to remake the same more over and over again. The first movie was pretty good though.
An Education - Carey Mulligan is just great.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Six movies in, they were really in a rhythm making these.
The Hurt Locker - I think the movie was massively overrated, but it's still pretty damn good.
The Invention of Lying - An unshakable movie. I didn't love it when I saw it, but I keep feeling a pull to rewatch it. Ricky Gervais takes on an almost impossible premise.
A Serious Man - All Coen brothers movies need at least two viewings. I've still only seen this once. There's a good chance it breaks into the top 10 whenever I watch it again.
A Single Man - Probably my favorite Colin Firth performance. OK, maybe second to What a Girl Wants.
Star Trek - JJ Abrams gave the series the jolt of life that it needed at the time.
Up in the Air - I've never forgiven it for how much it broke my heart the first time I watched it. Damn, George Clooney and Anna Kendrick are great in it though.

Top 10
10. The Princess and the Frog
The music is great. I love the New Orleans setting. While it's normally credited as the start of the new Disney Renaissance, it's really more of a symbolic end of the old one before moving into a new generation. It's an animated throwback in the best meaning of the word.

9. Taken
One of my favorite in-movie turnarounds ever. The beginning of this movie is awful. I remember sitting in the theater a few minutes in thinking "Oh my god. What have I done?" Remember, this was before Nesson had reinvented himself as a badass. All I knew was that I couldn't figure out if Maggie Grace thought she was playing a 15 year old or a 25 year old and Nesson was walking around being awkward. Then the moment happened. You know the moment. The "particular set of skills moment". That is one of the scenes of the decade as far as I'm concerned. From that moment on, the movied kicked ass. Such a simple premise with crisp execution.

8. Zombieland
It's hard to think of a stranger central quartet, not to mention the fact that they have all been nominated for Oscars. The chemistry of Emma Stone, Jesse Eisenberg, Abigail Breslin, and Woody Harrelson mixed with a wicked sense of humor makes this zombie comedy a delight from beginning to end.

7. Funny People
I admit that I have a soft spot for Judd Apatow and his gang of collaborators. Funny People is far from perfect. It's badly in need of an edit, for instance, clocking in at a brutal 2h26m. It's got a shockingly good (unless you've seen Punch-Drunk Love) Adam Sandler performance. Seth Rogen got to flex some dramatic muscles. The largely unknown cast at the time looks damn near prophetic now. If you have any patience at all left for rich white guy problems, there's a lot about this that's better and more heartfelt than you'd expect from the guy who made The 40 Year Old Virgin.

6. Moon
Most of this movie is Sam Rockwell alone on a space ship. The fact that it's still so engaging is a testement to how good Sam Rockwell is, always.

I didn't realize how good the best of 2009 would be. Somehow this fell to 5. This Maurice Sendek adaptation is one of the great childrens movies from the "more appreciated by adults than kids" category. Spike Jonze brings Sendek's book to life beautifully. The production and costume design are perfect. The voice cast, James Gandolfini in particular, give unbelievably heartfelt performances. I try to not overuse this phrase, but you really do have to be a little dead inside to come away from this without it tugging at your heart a little.

4. Paranormal Activity
I love horror. I love found footage. The simplicity of this is what I love the most. I just watched this the other night, and even though very little happens most of the time, the movie races by. Any list of greatest movie scares that doesn't include this ending is incompete.

3. I Love You Man
Sometimes, the greatest measure of a comedy is how long and how often you quote it. I've internalized so much of the dialogue for this that when I rewatch it, there's always a few moments that make me ask "Is that where I got that phrase from?". Paul Rudd and Jason Segel are a perfect odd couple. The movie is densely populated with great characters. It's loosely structured enough that it can go in any direction it wants at any time. Mostly though, it makes me laugh. A lot.

2. (500) Days of Summer
I've had one break up of any sort in my life and it coincided with when this movie was on constant loop on HBO. You do the math.
I'm a big fan of Joseph Gordon Lovett in general. Zooey Deschanel gets to have some fun with the manic pixie dream girl archetype that she's fallen into a lof in her career. This is when I first became aware of a foul-mouthed young Chloe Grace Moretz. This has one of my favorite movie soundtracks. I'm a big fan of movies that play with structure like this one does. So much of my love though comes from being the right movie and the right time.

1. Up
A movie always gets bonus points for surprising me. Back in 1994, there's an infamous lunch after finishing Toy Story, in which the Pixar heads sketched out the ideas for A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc, Finding Nemo, and WALL-E. Before 2009, the history of Pixar movies was this: two movies directed by the incomparable Brad Bird, two from the Toy Story franchise, and four movies from that lunch. I was convinced when I heard about Up that they were out of ideas. It was a great streak for 14 years, but this floating house movie looked silly. I was sure it would flop.
Then I watched it. 10 minutes in, I was convinced that Up was something special. You really can't praise Up enough for the heart-shattering efficiency of the beginning of that movie. That said, take out the first 10 minutes and Up is still a top 5 Pixar movie in my book. I love everything about this movie. So much dog humor for one. Dug is the best. Ed Asner is perfectly curmudgeony as Carl. Jordan Nagai is delightfully annoying as Russell. The beginning of the film sets the tone for the heartfelt moments, but the rest of the film has plenty of other touching moments. This is the film that made me believe in Pixar magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment