Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The Unborn

The Pitch: A young woman is haunted by her unborn twin brother...or something like that.

I need to get something out of the way right now: Why did I see this movie? I love horror movies, but I didn't really think this would be great. I saw this because Odette Annable is pretty. I can pretend that just about anything else brought me to it and that would be a lie. Odette Annable isn't in enough things that I watch, so I ended up seeing this. It was only after I started the movie that I realized that it was written and directed by David Goyer who helped the Nolans write the Dark Knight trilogy. I had no idea that Gary Oldman, Idris Elba, Megan Good, and Carla Gugino had parts in this. None of that. Just Odette Annable.

Ok, that's out of the way now, and I feel a lot more freedom to speak honestly about this.
It's pretty bad. There was too much going on in the story. The characters were thinly drawn. Even the scares were lazy jump-scares. I'm not a fan of the movie. But it was very watchable. That's because I don't get the feeling anyone took this too seriously. The story is insane. Something about a Jewish demon called a dybbuk that originated during the Holocaust, because apparently that's the only time Hollywood is willing to talk about Judaism. At some point, there's a Jewish exorcism (because that's a thing) and they call in an Episcopalian Priest for assistance.

That's how you really know the movie isn't serious. There's an exorcism. The call in a priest for help. And he isn't even Catholic.

Megan Good has lines like "What was that? One second she was fine, then she has a bitch flip". That's not a line from a movie that wants the audience buying in completely. Clocking it at under 90 minutes, it's hard to be angry at the movie as a waste of time. Besides, it gave me exactly what I was looking for*.

*And it's worth noting. Odette Annable was perfectly fine. This didn't prove anything about her range as an actress. But, remember Mama (Jessica Chastain) or The House at the End of the Street (Jennifer Lawrence). At some point, no one can save a mediocre script, no matter how talents.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment