Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Sccop

The Pitch: A wannabe reporter starts dating a man she suspects is a serial killer thanks to a tip from a deceased journalist*.

*Ok, the real pitch was "I'm Woody Allen. I make a movie every year, so grab a draft of a screenplay from that pile over there and let's make a movie."

Woody Allen is an important filmmaker, even if he's not a great man or someone you'd invite to a dinner party. If nothing else, his constant output is staggering. He has made [at least] one feature film every year since 1982. That's five, almost six presidents. Every year since EPCOT Center was opened, I could ask myself "What was Woody Allen busy with this year?". This streak goes back beyond the M*A*S*H finale. It's a rather impressive streak.

Of course, the downside to that kind of production turnaround is something I often complain about (See: Jasmin, Blue and Moonlight, Magic in). His movies often feel like first drafts. Scoop has that problem as well. Allen has a habit of deux ex macchina endings which is directly the result of him not having enough time to think through a story with another draft or two. It's fun to figure out the kernal of an idea he started with and how it grew into an entire movie. In Scoop, everything on the boat to the afterlife is vintage Woody Allen. This film did feel a bit more polished overall than a lot of his films, his recent ones especially.

This is not the high point in Scarlett Johansson's run as Allen's muse, but it's light and fun in an easy to appreciate way. Allen has never found a better surrogate for him than himself, so I like to see him in the film instead of some other guy. I know some people can't stand his voice, cadance, and rythms. Personally, I've always loved them.

There's nothing special about this movie. I enjoyed it even though I will continue to confuse it with Match Point.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment