Thursday, January 26, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Syrup

The Pitch: A movie about some marketing guy, but it's really about how awesome Amber Heard is.

This is based on a satirical book from the late 90s. I get the feeling that some producers got very involved somewhere in the process for two reasons. 1) The book is about selling a drink to Coca-Cola. The movie turns that into Addison Cola. I get why they opted to do that (Coke has many lawyers). It's still made this feel toothless. 2) The movie version is wholly uninterested in Shiloh Fernandez in favor of Amber Heard. Unless the book is told Great Gatsby-style, I can't imagine the original focus is kept in tact.

And, let's be honest, Amber Heard's Six is the most interesting thing the movie has going for it. Fernandez' Scat is just a dud. He's minor league compared to Heard or Sneaky Pete. His success by the end is a machination of the story more than reflective of him getting what he deserves. Sneaky Pete is a little too distanced to care at all about what Kellan Lutz is doing. There's a much more interesting movie there with Heard as the outright lead that maybe even focuses on a rivalry between her and the underused Brittany Snow. That's me writing my own movie rather than commenting on the movie that exists though. It's hard to rate Heard's performance. I never bought what she was doing as Six, but that's kind of the point. I never knew what exactly she was doing or what I was supposed to make of the character. She's largely a male-fantasy, although she admits as much. I'll put it this way, she's well-cast.

It's just not as clever as it thinks it is. Or maybe it isn't plausible enough. I'm reminded of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. The faux-SNL within that show wasn't believable as a good show, which made everything else feel hollow. In Syrup, I didn't buy the "brilliant" advertisements as being brilliant. Perhaps Mad Men is the better comparison. When you promise people are good at their job, you need to convince the audience of that. Writing 101: Show, don't tell.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment