Sunday, January 8, 2017

Golden Globes 2017: Post Mortem

The Golden Globes have come and gone again. Most years, I do a post predicting the results of the ceremony. The thing is, the Globes are stupid. More so than the Emmys or Oscars. Those are stupid too, but at least they try. So, this year, I'd rather look back on the Golden Globes to assess how it went. Still, just as dumb, but requiring far less effort from me.

The Good
Atlanta
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) love being the first to award something. In TV, that means giving The Affair a Best Drama Series win or calling the opening half of Brooklyn Nine Nine's first season the Best Comedy Series. Occasionally though, it means Donald Glover can begin his EGGOT campaign (Emmy/Grammy/Golden Globe/Oscar/Tony). Atlanta had a great debut season and Donald Glover deserves all the praise he can get. Technically, I liked Veep better in 2016, but it already has the Emmy love. Let Atlanta, another one of my favorite shows in 2016, have the Golden Globes.

La La Land
Did it need to dominate the night? No. Although, I'm happy to see it win everything it could, because, it was my favorite film in 2016. I was especially pleased to see "City of Stars" win best song against a stacked field.

Moonlight
It would've been a shame if it was shut out entirely. If it was going to win only one award, Best Picture - Drama is the one to win. 

The Bad
Billy Bob Thornton
Matthew Rhys is never going to win any major awards for The Americans, is he?

Aaron Taylor Johnson
It's hard to not look at this as Maherhsala Ali being robbed. Even Jeff Bridges would've been fine. I like Aaron Taylor-Johnson. His toilet scene in Nocturnal Animals deserves some kind of recognition. Given that he wasn't even the best supporting actor in the movie, this win doesn't feel right.

Hell or High Water
I would've liked to see this sleeper critical hit win something: Best Picture, Screenplay, Supporting Actor. It deserved better. But, the limited number of categories for the Golden Globes sure makes it hard.


The Meh
The Night Manager
I didn't watch The Night Manager, so I'm not allowed to be that critical about the picks. I've heard good things about the performances. I'm not convinced that Tom Hiddleston, Olivia Colman, and Hugh Laurie all needed to win. At least it didn't stop the American Crime Story freight train from winning the Limited Series/TV Movie award.

Jimmy Fallon
He was a fine host. He mostly stayed out of the way, which is the best thing a host can do. I liked the opening number with him, then I found myself forgetting who the host was by 10:30 pm. If he isn't going to be Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, then disappearing is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment