Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Unlawful Entry

What I Guessed It Was About: A home invasion movie about - is that Kurt Russell on the poster? - and whoever his family is being trapped in the house by some criminal. The 'unlawful' part makes me think the cops are involved somehow. Not sure if they are pro- or ant-agonists though.
How I Came Into It: I knew nothing about this movie. I've liked the cast in different things though. Kurt Russell was coming off Backdraft. Ray Liotta was coming off Goodfellas. Madeline Stowe, well, I'm sure she was doing stuff before that (that was her in Stakeout, right?). This was a good time to be any of them.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a simple movie that's effective at what it does. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Stowe's character believed Russell well before the end. In fact, Liotta's partner was on Russell's side too. I can't stand when a movie like this becomes conspiracy-like where only the main character knows the truth and everyone assumes he's wrong. It's such a plot-driven move that makes the supporting characters impossibly dense. Unlawful Entry didn't do that. Bravo!

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is a fringe movie at best. It's been done before and since so many times that your favorite one is most likely whichever you saw first. It's also in that sub-category of movies that have probably been done better as a Law & Order episode. It doesn't make this movie bad or anything. I means that in a few months, I guarantee the my response to it will be "which one was that one?".

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment