Saturday, July 11, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Negotiator

The Pitch: Samuel L. Jackson is a negotiator who finds himself holding people hostage and - get this - needs a negotiator.
How I Came Into It: I believe this is what they call "vocational irony". There's always an apetite for good guys, backed into a corner taking hostages. It's such an easy conflict to make engaging.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I like Jackson and I like Kevin Spacey. I was raised on 90s thrillers like this so regardless of the quality of them, I'll always find them watchable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is like a dozen other 90s thrillers. The plot points might be different, but gaps in logic, sensationalism, twists, and performances are the same. Something like Jackson not actually killing the one hostage should be a surprise, but at no point did I doubt if he left him alive. That's a problem.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment