Friday, July 17, 2015

Weekly 10: 7/10-7/16

A nice, busy summer week, only slightly propped up by a DVR purge Thursday.


Saved by the Bell "Jessie's Song" / Showgirls / Saved by the Bell Vegas Wedding
Yeah, I had an Elizabeth Berkley night. Jealous?

True Detective "Down Will Come"
I feel bad for this season. So far, everything about it is compared to last season. For example, last week's big gun fight with that infamous tracking shot was better. But, you know what, this season's episode 4 gun fight was pretty spectacular. When was the last time you saw modern warfare this good on a TV show? I guess you could quibble over "Of course the only three survivors were the main characters", but isn't the point of the season that it's their story?

Battlebots
Let's ignore my picks last week. It was a fluke. This week though, I'm sure I'll nail every pick.
Tombstone over Witch Doctor in seconds.
Bronco over Stinger The Killer Bee not in a knock out although in a one sided match.
Bite Force over Overhaul in a nail-biter.
Icewave over Ghost Raptor slowly and decisively.

Girl Meets World "Girl Meets Mr. Squirrels Goes to Washington"
So far, this show has followed a "one for us, one for them" approach to episodes. Up to now, season 2 has been far more for us (Boy Meets World fans) and, despite Eric's return looking like an "us" move, this was very much for them (the Disney Channel target demographic). It was an awful episode in nearly every way. I'm done talking about it.

Married "Thanksgiving"
I wish I didn't like Judy Greer and Nat Faxon so much. Otherwise, I'd be done with this show. They are giving good performances (I loved the opening tag where they dog on their daughter's clothing), but I don't enjoy the show. Odds are I'll give it another season due to inertia.

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll "Don't Wanna Die Anonymous"
Nope. I'm done with this. I don't have affection for anyone in the cast. The plot is beyond contrived. I don't believe the timeline the show is putting forth. It wasn't funny. I won't go as far as calling it bad. I will say that I'm absolutely not a fan of whatever it's doing.

Bob's Burgers Season 1
A friend of mine keeps referencing the show and I'm running into other random podcast reviews about it. There's not point in trying to fight it. I can't promise I'll keep up with it. I like what I've seen so far.

Minions
I hate the minions. This confirmed that. That has value.

Halt and Catch Fire "Working for the Clampdown"
Seriously, I was all ready to give up on this show. Except for Gordon though, I'm completely sucked in. I hate the Mutiny business model, but I love the characters.

The Wire
I'm starting a rewatch. I realize that I was so lost when I watched it originally that it's like I'm seeing the first couple episodes for the first time since I recognize everyone immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment