Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Delayed Reaction: That Awkward Moment

What I Guessed It Was About: Three incredibly handsome dudes go through relationship problems.
How I Came Into It: Here's what I know. Miles Teller is possibly my favorite actor under 30 right now. Michael B. Jordan isn't far behind. I've liked the career choices Zac Effron has made even if I'm still undecided about him. Imogen Poots was the only worthwhile part of Need For Speed. Mackenzie Davis is great in Halt and Catch Fire. Hell, even Jessica Lucas and Addison Timlin pop up all the time in things that I like. From a casting perspective, I had no reason to dislike this movie...

Why I Saw It: ...and that cast makes this work much more than it should. On paper, I don't like any of these characters. I don't care about their problems, because they aren't even real problems most of the time. Teller, Jordan, and Effron are so damn charming though. It's nothing short of incredible how much I enjoyed this movie, and it's because of what those three (and Poots and Davis etc.) were doing. They made this watchable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: If I met any of these characters in real life, I would dislike them. That's a bad starting point. Then there's the "story" of the movie, which is that none of them would get in a serious relationship because Jordan's character is going through a divorce. It's not said as some big pact. It's barely made as a suggestion, yet somehow that motivates all of them to be dicks to the perfect women they meet. At least Tomcats had a cash incentive to motivate the stupidity. And the fallout for Teller and Effron falling in love is essentially "Dude, but you said you wouldn't get serious. Oh, well. I'm happy for you". It's a stupid movie, the kind that is only worth watching if, say, you are a huge Miles Teller fan and want to watch something with him that you haven't seen before and you've already seen Whiplash and The Spectacular Now and Rabbit Hole and Divergent and 21 & Over and and Footloose and Two Night Stand and you are certain that watching one of those first three or four again isn't an option. On a related note, I've seen way more of Teller's filmography than I thought I had.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment