Sunday, July 12, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Logan's Run

What I Guessed It Was About: Logan lives in a futuristic society. One day, he decides he's in the mood to go for a run. And run he does, from one coast of Oceania to another. Like John Galt's motor, he goes on an on, relying only on milk from milk bars and soma for sustenance and burning books for warmth. Eventually, he dies, because everybody dies in a dystopia.
How I Came Into It: I didn't know much about it beyond a stray Family Guy reference here and there. I knew it was a futuristic dystopia (before the Young Adult market got a hold of the genre). I was also aware of the more general assessment that it's an uneven movie.

Why I Saw It: Logan's Run does great work in building the world. I won't say it's all that plausible or holds up, but it is very much its own. The idea of no one living past 30 reminided me a lot of the godawful In Time movie, which continually made Logan's Run look better.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The second half isn't nearly as engaging as the first. Once they are outside, the visuals are less striking and there's a lot of lulls. If not for the old man with all the cats, I'd call that half a complete bust.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment