Thursday, July 30, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Mr. Peabody and Sherman

What I Guessed It Was About: Mr. Peabody and Sherman travel back to somewhere in time where they get stuck and have to journey to repair their time machine and get back to the present.
How I Came Into It: I only vaguely remember Mr. Peabody and Sherman from The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, a show which I barely remember as a whole. This promised time travel and a healthy dose of the "this will go right over the kids' heads" humor that Dreamworks loves to do. Ty Burrell is oddly perfect for the voice of Mr. Peabody too, which is a good start.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This was a more touching movie than I expected. All the stuff about adoption and the bond between Mr. Peabody and Sherman as father and son was great. The voice casting all around was quite good. The jokes were as good as they needed to be. It didn't exceed my expectations, but meeting them isn't so bad.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's probably good that I don't remember the original show well. I looked up some reviews for this movie and it's totally a sacred cow for people. Almost any negative review had the poorly concealed subtext of "This isn't as good as the show. Nothing could be" which is defeatist and not fair.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment