Friday, July 10, 2015

Weekly 10: 7/3-7/9

This was a pretty lame week in terms of new shows and movies. Thankfully, god and/or revenue streams created reruns.


Halt and Catch Fire "10Broad36"
Is it weird that I both think this is a strong season and hope that it doesn't get a third season? They've been doing a lot of great stuff this season. Cameron and Donna are somehow the emotional core of the show, which is fitting since they are the best characters by far. Joe is great this week, embracing being the antagonist even though he's really on Mutiny's side. I'm done with Gordon for now, so the more they keep him on the sidelines, the better.

The Leftovers
I finished rewatching the season and damn does it hold up. It's at times oppressive and deeply nihilistic. It's also darkly comedic with powerhouse performances from Carrie Coon ("Guest"), Christopher Eccleston ("Two Boats and a Helicopter"), Justin Theroux, and Amy Brenneman (Despite saying exactly one word for 9 of the 10 episodes). I love the hell out of this show!

Terminator Genisys
Since seeing it, I've felt that critics are using this a bit too much as a punching bag. It isn't a great movie. It has major flaws, no doubt. Still, there's things to like about it. The action scenes are competent and I actually thought Emilia Clarke does well in a role that Linda Hamilton casts a large shadow over.

Battlebots
Let's just run down this week's matches:
Bite Force over Hypershock decisively.
Lock-Jaw over Overhaul pretty easily.
Overdrive over Witch Doctor barely.
Tombstone over Radioactive quickly.

Roxanne
I'll have more to say about this whenever I get my delayed reaction up. This movie is charming as hell and one of my favorite Steve Martin roles.

True Detective "Maybe Tomorrow"
I should've known they wouldn't be bold enough to kill off Colin Farrell, and that's probably for the best. It's pretty clear that this season isn't coming out as strong as the first season but it is growing on me. I've already determined that the season will live and die by how it does by Rachel McAdams. Thankfully, I'm a big fan of shots of the LA freeway system, so that will hold me over for a while.

Review with Forrest MacNeil
Ok...um, I wasn't ready for "Best Friend; Space".
For the dozen people who have seen this show, you know what I'm referring to.
For the vast majority of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, all I can say is watch this and you'll know. This is a strange show: one that I very much enjoyed.

Parks & Recreation Season 7
I haven't even finished rewatching the season and already it's better than I remembered. You know in 2010 when Parks and Rec, Community, 30 Rock, and The Office were all on one night on NBC? I miss when NBC was so in the toilet that it could keep all of those on.

American Ninja Warrior
More inspirational stories. More me hoping all of those people will fall on their face. I stand by my stance that they need a comedian as one of the announcers.

What's Love Got to Do With It
They very smartly saved that for the end of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment