Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Movies That Aren't Sequels (But Should Be)

One of my favorite posts on the blog was a list a made a couple years ago that are not sequels but should be, based on title alone. Here it is if you missed it the first time. It's been long enough that I've found a couple more movies to add to the list.

As I said the first time, there's plenty more of these to be found so I'll hopefully be back with more soon. Let's begin:

One of my favorite posts on the blog was a list a made a couple years ago that are not sequels but should be, based on title alone. Here it is if you missed it the first time. It's been long enough that I've found a couple more movies to add to the list.

As I said the first time, there's plenty more of these to be found so I'll hopefully be back with more soon. Let's begin:

Midnight Cowboy (1969) / Urban Cowboy (1980)

After gobbling up Oscar wins and nominations on its way to an impressive box office haul, why wouldn't someone want to make a sequel? I can understand Jon Voight not being on board to reprise his role and John Travolta isn't the worst person to fill in. As it turns out though, these movies aren't at all related.

Bandits (2001) / Bandidas (2006)

You know what this crime caper starring Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thorton needs? Yes, a sequel aimed at a Latino audience starring Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz. I've looked into it, and that couldn't be any further from what the movies actually are.

Dumbo (1941) / Operation Dumbo Drop (1995)

Yes, it seemed really unlikely that Operation Dumbo Drop was a sequel, what with the 54 year gap and switch from animation to live-action. But, both movies were produced by Disney, so how is it my fault for getting confused.

Little Darlings (1980) / Little Children (2006)

Laugh if you will but this could've been a "next generation" type of thing with Tatum O'Neal and Kristy McNichol's roles going to Kate Winslet and Jennifer Connelly.  When you look at the plot, this isn't completely ridiculous.

Last Night (2010) / About Last Night (2014)

So sue me. I assumed this was a Before Sunrise/Before Midnight situation. I was very wrong. It turns out that About Last Night was actually a remake of another movie of the same title. I'm giving myself partial credit for calling that the movie wasn't completely original.

Knockaround Guys (2001) / Stand Up Guys (2012)

What happens when you get knocked around? Yeah, you stand back up. I knew nothing else about the movies than that. Switch out Dennis Hopper for Al Pacino and Vin Diesel for Christopher Walken and BAM! franchise potential.

Honeymoon in Vegas (1992) / Leavng Las Vegas (1995)

I think I was most justified by being confused about this one. After all, both are Nic Cage movies about Vegas and one came out three years after the other. Granted, there are slight tonal differences and what are the odds that the sequel gets all the Oscar love?

Daylight (1996) / Twilight (1998)

Check the titles and the years. Yeah, one is an action movie and the other a crime mystery and sure, none of the actors are the same. I don't see why they still couldn't be in the same movie franchise. Yet again, I was mistaken.

Housesitter (1992) / Houseguest (1995)

I thought about putting The Crazysitter here too but these two are the most likely to be related. Nope. It turns out that Sinbad is not a sufficient substitute for Goldie Hawn. It's not my fault for being confused.

Never Back Down (2008) / Won't Back Down (2012)

Look, the first movie is the assertion: "I'll never back down". The second is reasserting that: "No, I won't back down". Well, I was right. The dance/action movie, Never Back Down, did have franchise potential in the form of the action movie, Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown, not the education drama, Won't Back Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment