Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Open Water

The Pitch: Hey, let's use fear of abandonment and isolation to scare the living shit out of people.

What Took Me So Long: I didn't want to be scared of swimming for a while.

Why I Saw It: It's winter (when I'm writing this). I'm not going swimming any time soon. I had to see what this micro-budget hit was all about. You know, there's few more terrifying thoughts than being lost at see, especially without a boat. No way to be located or to let anyone know you are missing. The movie manages to keep a one note fear interesting a lot longer than I expected and the performances of the two leads (they aren't famous, so I won't bother listing their names) is above average, especially considering they had to be swimming the whole time.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Ignoring the nightmares about being abandoned at sea that followed (I saw that one coming), I had a couple other issues. For one, I don't see how they remained so calm. They got a little angry and a little panicky. Most of the time they spent uncomfortably relaxed. Perhaps I'm displacing my own feelings but that didn't seem right. In general, I mentioned before, it's a one note premise. Once they've been abandoned there isn't much until when they finally accept that they've been abandoned. I don't know if that's something that could be fixed by a better director or superior camera, maybe a score. You know, a movie only has to be an hour to be considered a full-length feature. This is a case where going for the 90 minutes is excessive.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment