Monday, May 12, 2014

DVR Purge: 5/5-5/11

Louie is back and I couldn't be happier, especially because it gives me something else to watch with most of these other shows preparing to finish off their seasons.

Past Purges 

Louie "Back/Model"
I definitely enjoyed Back more of the two episodes. It was a scattered collection of stories layered with the constant humiliations of Louie's life. The super who doesn't get how a simple joke works, his daughters exhausted by his effort to explain the benefits of hard work, the old lady helping him to the cab, the doctor basically saying "Life sucks. Deal with it". It's a great episode to return with because it highlights so much about the show that's great and unique.
Model is a bit more divisive. It definitely asks us to watch it in a vacuum more than most episodes. Clearly Louie is better at not bombing than that and he's certainly not "poor" as the episode implies. That said, it's a wonderfully uncomfortable episode and a lot easier to accept when you remember this is all told from his perspective, even when it's being presented as the truth. So, something like how Jerry is acting the whole time reflects how Louie feels more than how Jerry was probably acting. I'm very torn about what happened with the model (beautifully played by Yvonne Strahovski). The accidental punching is funny, but I could easily see how this could trouble some viewers and the extent of the damage is laying it on a little thick. Still, I'm so happy to have this off little show back finally.

Agents of SHIELD "Ragtag"
You know what this episode has that had been sorely underutilized until recently? Fun. It's a fun episode. Despite the increased stakes leading up to the finale and the enlightening flashbacks showing how Ward got to where he is now, there was a outright caper featuring Fitz and Simmons entertainingly feeding May and Coulson information and Coulson completely geeking out over Triplett's grandfather's old gear. I think the most successful version of this show looks a lot like Chuck and this was about right.
One unsettling point I need to clarify: Did Ward kill the dog? They left it just vague enough in my mind to wonder and this is an important point. I've long held the irredeemable point for a villain is killing a dog. A character doesn't come back from that and if Ward is a dog killer, I don't want him back. Plain and simple.

New Girl "Cruise"
This didn't feel much like a season finale with Schmidt backing out of telling Cece how he feels and Nick and Jess continuing the drawn-out break up process. Not a horrible episode but I'd've really liked a strong episode to end an otherwise weak season.

The Mindy Project "Danny and Mindy"
They went heavy with the RomCom moments. I'm glad they decided to end with Danny and Mindy together. That should give the writers a strong launching point for next season which will hopefully allow for a more clear direction for a series that is somehow two seasons in and this unsettled.

Fargo "Eating the Blame"
Billy Bob Thorton is such a delight. The ease in his deception at the police station was a joy to watch. Things are building to a very uneven showdown between Malvo and Molly and Gus. And, I accept that I'm no expert in shrapnel, but should it really be this hard for Lester to get his out of his hand?

The Middle "Office Hours"
Do I think Mike's explanation for why he treats Sue dating different was a good one? No. Do I find it completely fitting with the character and sentiment of the show? Absolutely.

Suburgatory "Les Lucioles"
With the french singing and dream-like sequences, this was a strange episode, even by Suburgatory standards. With news of it not being picked up for a fourth season, I realize this is one of the final episodes of the show and it's a fitting one. Malik and the Shays are taken care of now. I'm curious to see how the others are serviced.

Modern Family "Message Received"
What's this? Cam and Mitchell not only not bickering, but actively propping each other up and showing genuine care for one another? It shouldn't come as a surprise then that this was a very strong episode. I mean, other than having no idea what to do with Gloria, Jay, and Manny for most of the episode. The use of the answering machine on all levels was about as effective as the show has been all season. It gave us some kids versus adults action which is always fun. Phil being so amazing about hearing the "news" was a great reminder of how good Claire and his relationship can be. The messages with Mitchell are also drenched in irony which I smirked at more than once. I'm hesitant about Mitchell and Jay's argument at the end. It's realistic to have Jay regress a bit from his progressiveness given how much of an "old-timer" he's presented as, but I wonder what end this is a means to. Do we really need this leading up to the wedding?

The Americans "Stealth"
I hope Nina will be alright. I don't know that I'd like to watch a version of this show without her. Oh, and at this point, that church camp better be a Russian sleeper cell or something because I'm tired of Paige going on about it when there's no apparent plot significance to it. Shit's going to go badly with Larrick. That's all I can assume about that.

The Big Bang Theory "The Gorilla Dissolution"
Leonard and Penny are engaged now. I know, I didn't completely realize they weren't already. It's good news albeit a little delayed.

Hannibal "Ko No Mono"
What episode are we on? 11? Wow. How are we going to get to that Hannibal/Jack fight teased at the beginning? All this stuff with Margot and Mason has dominated the past couple episodes. I'm not sure if that's setup for future episodes or going to help get to the fight.

SNL "Charlize Theron/The Black Keys"
-Is this Vanessa Bayer's first time doing Hilary? I'm all for it.
-Girlfriends Talk show returns. Yay! Aidy Bryant may be my favorite cast member now. Ok, top 6.
-While I don't find the Heshi sketches all that funny, I'm absolutely impressed by the sound effects.
-You really can't blame Barbara Walters for having poor comedic timing.

Mad Men "The Runaways"
In an episode that has Don and Megan in a three way, the return of Stephanie, Scout's Honor, and Betty threatening to break her daughter's arm, I will remember this episode as the one in which Ginsberg cut off his nipple and I think that's a fair takeaway from the episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment