Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Delayed Reaction: In the Name of the Father

The Pitch: The downside to The Troubles...the other downside.

 
What Took Me So Long: In my life, I thought it was about something much different. In the past year, I knew it was one I couldn't be watching with split attention.

Why I Saw It: Daniel Day-Lewis gets to use his actual accent. That's enough for me. It's one part courtroom drama, one part prison movie, and all parts "Oh, that's what it was like." It made me want to lookup the events of the story it was based on, which I think is the highest praise a "based on true events" movie can get.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It was a little long and I can't say I was terribly engaged by it. The Troubles are an interesting and under discussed period in movies (or at least the ones that I watch) so I was hoping to pull a little more out of this. The acting is top notch though, as is often the case when Daniel Day-Lewis and Emma Thompson get top billing.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment