Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Reds

The Pitch: Communists, they're no so bad.

What Took Me So Long: The main thing stopping me once I saw it was streaming on Netflix was the length (over 3 hours). That's long for a movie that didn't promise a lot of things blowing up or nekkid' people, and even still, those things only gets me to the third hour.

Why I Saw It: It would help if I had any idea who John Reed and Louise Bryant were before I saw this. The acting is top notch. We don't see Warren Beatty anymore these days so it easy to forget that his is one of the best actor/directors Hollywood has ever scene. I was most impressed by Diane Keaton. Louise Bryant could easily be a character in the movie that annoys me but Keaton keeps me rooting for her. Jack Nicholson has a smaller role but a good one.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm, avoiding the story for a reason. It wasn't boring, exactly. I'd stick with needlessly long. When a movie is as long as this is, I expect there to be a reason for it and I couldn't tell you the reason for this. This has the feel of a mini-series rather than a movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment