Wednesday, May 21, 2014

DVR Purge: 5/15-5/20

Still just enough on TV to give me something every night. That's the last time I'll have that until fall.



Past Purges 

Big Bang Theory "Tha Status Quo Combustion"
The Big Bang Theory is one of the most obvious shows when it comes to buying time over the summer. They've had trips to Antarctica, boat voyages, and missions to outer space to buy time. These always revert back to business as usual within an episode or two of the premiere, so it's hard to watch Sheldon leaving as little more than a way to burn off a couple months in the timeline, which, let's be honest, with no character in school by a traditional timeline and a setting that's eternal sunshine, there's no need to have a sense of time passed, but whatever. It's their prerogative. The episode itself? Eh, whatever. Nothing special. BBT isn't much for buzz-worthy finales. Last week was the "big episode". This was a fine episode and does a nice job summing Sheldon's experiences over the season. I'm curious to see how much they loosen him up at the beginning of next season.

Hannibal "Tome Wan"

This is the first episode I can say was hard for me to watch. Mason eating his own face is one of those images that only Hannibal can pull off and even still it almost seemed like a stretch. While I hope that's not the last we see of Margot and Mason, there's no need for them in the finale. I feel like there's going to be enough positioning needed with Will, Hannibal, and Jack get us to that fight scene without them dominating the story. I can't believe there's only one episode left.

SNL "Andy Samberg/St. Vincent"
I'm glad when the finale (or premiere) is a former cast member because these things are an excuse to bring back familiar faces for cameos, so you might as well get someone used to being a team player. Let's see, tonight had Samberg, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Maya Rudolph, Fred Armisen, Jason Sudeikis, Paul Rudd, and I'm probably forgetting someone. That's a lot, and it's fine because Samberg wasn't going to level the live segments anyway. The regular cast took a slight backseat as expected. Now it's all about wondering who will be back next year. You can't feel good about everyone coming back given how large the cast is and how few departures are known already (just Nasim Pedrad, I think). Regardless, this is a strong core cast right now and I'm felling good heading into next season. If I was a better man, I'd say John Milhiser and Brooks Wheelan are gone.

Mad Men "The Strategy"
I love Don and Peggy getting along. They are my favorite thing and it's so rare to see them loose around one another that it makes episodes like these that much sweeter. You know, it's also been a while since we saw some good work on a pitch for a company. And, this in an episode that also has the return of Bob Benson and Trudy. Mad Men, you spoil me. There's a lot I could go on about that this episode did so well, but I'll stop with that.

Louie "Elevator Part 2 and 3"
This is turning into quite the epic story. It feels so much like a piece of a larger whole that I'm struggling to pass any judgment on it yet. I certainly won't be talking about these as separate episodes. It's been a while since I've seen Pamela Adlon in anything so I wasn't ready for her rapport with Louie. Has it always been that abusive? I hope that's not all we see of her. Then again, I think Louie, the character, has outgrown her to some degree. There are times when I don't know if Louie or Jon Favreau from Swingers is more awkward about women. Pleading with Amia not to go after spending one day with her, telling Pamela that he's already in a relationship, bringing up his girl problems with Dr. Bigelow. I squirmed during all these things. There's no way all this ends any better for Louie than a moral victory but I'm certainly curious to see how he gets there. Apparently, we are only at the halfway point of the story.

Fargo "Buridan's Ass"
In terms of how the story plays out, this episode has most relied of chance more than any. Malvo relied on the SWAT team going all-in against Don in the frame job (How did they no there weren't any hostages in there? They went guns blazing which is the only way the plan works for Malvo). Lester happens to get a bunkmate with a bandaged face and who is passed out the whole time and no one bothers to check on Lester the entire time he is gone. The only way Malvo survives the shootout is the white out (well, probably. I've stopped questioning his limitations). I'm not even sure what to make of Semenko, Dmitri, and the fish (Is that something that happens in that area or is it meant to be as weird as it seems?) but it works into the final biblical plague. So, yeah, the episode isn't all that tight. This is a messy show though and it bothers me less than it would with other shows. This is so darkly comedic that I simply don't care. That shootout was so muted and excellent. I sure hope Molly is ok, although I can see a version of the show where her death is used to fuel other characters, most notably Gus.

No comments:

Post a Comment